Windows 2008 Server Core pre-requisites

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
maggiore81
Normal user
Normal user

Windows 2008 Server Core pre-requisites

Post by maggiore81 » 2009-04-30 22:43

Hello
I am trying Win 2008 Server Core Standard.

As default installation is not present .NET framework 2.0 and IE6

During Hmail installation the installer tells me that .NET and IE6 are required.

Ok, I can install the .NET Framework (but in the Core R2) (I also can install .NET framework in the core edition following some instructions I found on google)

But and what about IE6?

I think that currently hmail is NOT compatible with the Core edition.
Mr. Spadoni
Network Administrator
--
Spadhausen ISP
admin (at) spadhausen . com

martin
Developer
Developer

Re: Windows 2008 Server Core pre-requisites

Post by martin » 2009-05-02 11:56

Haven't tried hMailServer on the "Core" version. IE6 *or later* is required. If you install .NET Framework 2.0 on the machine I'm guessing it will work.

maggiore81
Normal user
Normal user

Post by maggiore81 » 2009-05-02 12:10

Hello Martin.

When I have some free time I will try to install it on CORE release, and I will try to install (unsupported now) .NET framework on CORE release of windows.

Another question:
Do you plan in the near future to change completely the develop platform of hmail and its pre-requisites? (I mean IE6 and .NET framework 2.0) ?

I ask you this because I have some Win 2000 boxes that I want to convert to hmail dedicated mail servers. Since you dropped supporto to NT4 because microsoft dropped support too, I would like to ask you what you plan to do in 2010 when the support for win 2000 will cease to exist from microsoft.. It may appear a weird question but I think that for some roles (mailserver) win 2000 could be a rock solid OS still in 2010...

Best Regards
Mr. Spadoni
Network Administrator
--
Spadhausen ISP

martin
Developer
Developer

Post by martin » 2009-05-02 12:48

Do you plan in the near future to change completely the develop platform of hmail and its pre-requisites? (I mean IE6 and .NET framework 2.0) ?
Internet Explorer or .NET Framework 2.0 is by no means a "platform" for hMailServer. IE6 is required because .NET Framework 2.0 requires it. .NET framework 2.0 is required because I've choosen to compile hMailServer Administrator against that version of the .NET Framework library. "Upgrading" to .NET Framework 3.5 is no more work than to change a flag in the compilation settings for hMailServer. However, .NET Framework 3.5 is not supported on Windows 2000 which means that I would either have to distribute two separate versions, or skip support for Windows 2000. Or distribute one installation with two separate versions of hMailAdmin.exe, DBSetup.exe and so on.

> I would like to ask you what you plan to do in 2010 when the support for win 2000 will cease to exist from microsoft..

That depends entirely on what the user needs are. If a lot of companies will be running Windows 2000, I will consider continue supporting that version of Windows. If few are using it, such as NT4 today (which I doubt), I won't.

Magnus W
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Magnus W » 2009-05-03 20:17

Seeing that Server Core has no (or minimal) GUI at all, hMailServer Administrator is unlikely to ever be run (using the web admin instead, perhaps?). Thus, neither .NET or IE should be a prerequisite under this specific OS.

Now, this usage must be extremely marginal, and as there are other ways of accomplishing the same thing (copy installation from another computer and registering the service by some other means) I'm thinking this should at maximum be a FAQ entry. :-)

maggiore81
Normal user
Normal user

Post by maggiore81 » 2009-05-03 21:56

Magnus W wrote:Seeing that Server Core has no (or minimal) GUI at all, hMailServer Administrator is unlikely to ever be run (using the web admin instead, perhaps?). Thus, neither .NET or IE should be a prerequisite under this specific OS.

Now, this usage must be extremely marginal, and as there are other ways of accomplishing the same thing (copy installation from another computer and registering the service by some other means) I'm thinking this should at maximum be a FAQ entry. :-)

I have seen a lot of apps that I install executing the setup from the command prompt, that works perfectly in the GUI.

I think that Ms has stripped a lot of commands (explorer.exe and similar) but the gui works with the apps that don't require any specific files from the OS (explorer.exe etc)
Mr. Spadoni
Network Administrator
--
Spadhausen ISP

Magnus W
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Magnus W » 2009-05-03 23:01

Yeah, but hMailServer Administrator won't work, but if you are running Core, you are likely not concerned by a non-working administration GUI, and you are able to work around the installation issue in another way, and so it doesn't matter. Right?

maggiore81
Normal user
Normal user

Post by maggiore81 » 2009-05-03 23:06

Hello.

during installation hmailserver says that .net and ie6 are not installed and they are pre-requisites.

If I use remote administration I don't bother of GUI admin panel, right... but according to a website on the net, I could install .NET on the server core edition (unofficial).
If I can install .net framework I should be able to run the gui.
The GUI is vital if I need to see the log in real-time
Mr. Spadoni
Network Administrator
--
Spadhausen ISP

Magnus W
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Magnus W » 2009-05-03 23:10

Well, prerequisites are prerequisites. Sorry!

^DooM^
Site Admin

Post by ^DooM^ » 2009-05-04 00:12

maggiore81 wrote:The GUI is vital if I need to see the log in real-time
Not true, you can use a program like baretail for real time log file monitoring. You could even script a php file to parse AWStats events relatively easily.
If at first you don't succeed, bomb disposal probably isn't for you! ヅ

maggiore81
Normal user
Normal user

Post by maggiore81 » 2009-05-04 08:29

Hello Doom

very interesting link.
I have to check it out!
Mr. Spadoni
Network Administrator
--