New server, sending emails MARKED as SPAM?

Use this forum if you want to discuss a problem or ask a question related to a hMailServer beta release.
dvsatech
New user
New user

New server, sending emails MARKED as SPAM?

Post by dvsatech » 2020-07-01 02:02

I have a new server (PC) running windows 10 and setup hmailserver for sending emails. I had used exchange server in the past but its tightly connected to AD made it very difficult to work with as just a mail server. Over time the AD always got corrupted and I had to reload everything way too many times. Now I am trying hmailserver. The install went well and seemed to be easy enough. I added a static IP for my server and had the reverse DNS return the same as by SMTP banner. I have tried a few tools like MXTOOLS to verify my configuration (only complaint was No DMARC Record found???) and have been able to send a few test emails to my gmail account. I added my account to outlook and I can send/receive emails on this server. I thought everything was going well so I sent a few thousand emails to my subscribers. 99% of them got marked as spam. Some mail servers complained about my server not requiring encrypted connections (on sending?) as the reason for rejection? I ran diagnostics and its all green (it complained about not being able to connect to my mail server under "test local connect" but I am fairly sure its because its trying to connect to the public static IP of the server from inside the firewall and that never works in any environment (you can only connect tot he local IP). Other tools confirm my server is not able to relay without credentials.

1) Do I need to enable encrypted sending connection of emails (TLS?)? If so how do I do that?
2) Do I need to get a certificate for my domain and add it to hmailserver? If so any links to specific instructions to do this and recommendations on getting the certificate? (my domain is with godaddy, I think I can get it there?)
3) My internet connection in my office is 1Gbps and the hmailserver facility its connection is 300Mbps. What can I do to speed the server up? I dont see much memory utilization and CPU is about 25%. Are there any default settings I should increase?

Any info is appreciated.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Re: New server, sending emails MARKED as SPAM?

Post by jim.bus » 2020-07-01 07:00

You don't say which build of hMailServer you are using and from your type of Question if your hMailServer is not one of the Alpha or Beta builds, this question probably should have been posted under General Discussions. hMailServer B2425 is the latest Production Stable version of hMailServer.

However, I understand that there may be some email servers which are getting fussy and requiring connections to be encrypted. I believe one of the moderators of this Forum may have advised that if I remember correctly.

Yes, I believe to do the encryption you would need a Security Certificate. You can get Free Security Certificates from Let's Encrypt Certificate Authority but they need to be renewed every 90 Days.

To Encrypt use hMailAdmin:
1. You need to install your Security Certificate into hmailServer go to Settings>Advanced>SSL Certificates.
2. You need to go to Settings>Advanced>SSL/TLS. Select the appropriate Security Protocols. You need to specify at least as high as TLS v1.2. Some servers may also reject TLS v1.1 I hear because it has been determined to have vulnerabilities. The same could be said about TLS v1.2 which is why there is now TLS v1.3 but hmailServer B2425 only goes as high as TLS v1.2.
3. You need to go to Settings>Advanced>TCP/IP Ports. Assign the appropriated Security types to the various Ports (SSL/TLS, StartTLS (Optional or Required), or none.

Read the Help Documentation for more detatailed information. Some of these option changes require you to restart hMailServer to take effect.

dvsatech
New user
New user

Post by dvsatech » 2020-07-02 05:24

Yes this is probably in the wrong forum. I had though I was in the general discussion. I am new to the forum and I dont find the navigation intuitive yet.

I have version 5.6.7-B2425 with MSQL CE. I did manage to setup and install DKIM signing cert and now on MX Tools I get all green results for my mail server.

So far I am not listed on any block/spam sites but still having a problem specifically with Yahoo (AOL), centrylink, and ATT and email addresses. I am only sending emails to our subscribers and I am diligently fixing the list when I get any unsubscribe requests or bounce backs.

I have had several instances where I had to reboot the mail server with an error message on the screen that it could not start any additional threads? When I run diagnostics all is fine. I had just finished sending about 6000 emails (all options are set to their defaults for number of users, connections, emails per connection, etc...).

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-07-02 08:13

In case you haven't found this set of Configuration Instructions you could check this link.

https://www.hmailserver.com/documentati ... figuration

I am not very up on things such as connection issues however there are other considerations regarding connections other than just hMailServer connections. Whether or not MSSQL CE can handle this amount of email transactions without exceeding its limits I do not know primarily because I've never used MSSQL CE as I didn't want to ever have to worry about inefficiencies of it or exceeding its ability to handle any volume of transactions whether or not I would ever conceivably reach a point where it would be a concern.

But as I already stated I would not use MSSQL CE. It apparently has a negative performance issue and has other limits you have found out about. I would much rather use a full Database (for lack of a better word) such as MySQL. Along the connections issue, MySQL can be configured with varying numbers of connections depending on for instance how many transactions you may be expecting to be using. These connections are made by hMailServer to MySQL but are not set by hMailServer. They are configured in MySQL. I do not know if this will take care of your Error message you described but my personal preference as to the type of Database I would use rather than hMailServer's built in Database is MySQL.

There are other Forum Regular Support people on this Forum who far more adept at these tuning issues than I am. So they may be able to give you more guidance.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-02 14:44

SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

lillaparken
New user
New user

Post by lillaparken » 2020-07-07 01:17

Please read my tutorial https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 21&t=34663
If you still experience trouble make a new post.

1. You need to use SSL or TLS when mailing Microsoft like hotmail, outlook
2. To get a free SSL you can use “Certify the web” its free. If you need many SSL you may need to pay, you find tutorial in user submitted tutorials.
https://certifytheweb.com/

If you give your mail server some love it will deliver to the inbox.
I send low volume now normally when not COVID-19 I send 10-20 tours end E-mail every day using Hmailserver. All from my private mails, to newsletter, tickets for theater and much more.

I use SPF, DKMI, DMARC and free SSL Letscrypt using certify the web.
Because I send theatre tickets and sell other non material services I need my mail to always end up in the inbox.

You can application to Return Path Certify. It’s a partner to Microsoft and to Spamassain and more companies to validate your E-mail and helps you to get in to inbox. You need a reputation over 80 for more then 60 days. If you send a lot of E-mails to example government as in Sweden almost every one use Microsoft as their provider of E-mail. Then it is value for the money.

https://www.senderscore.org/report/?loo ... cated=true

If you don’t think you should end up as bulk mail after 90 days in Microsoft then you can contact their support. They may temporary open there protection Smartscreen to learn more about your E-mails.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/sup ... a03d6b8d75