Configuring an SMTP server

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
paulcoshott
New user
New user

Configuring an SMTP server

Post by paulcoshott » 2021-10-26 04:15

Hey all,
For now, I'd like to setup hMailServer purely as an SMTP server so I can send email through it. Later I'd like to setup some email hosting with other domains, but just need to send email through a server for now.
I was wondering if there is a step by step for doing this?
I have a wildcard SSL certificate for the domain. It came with 4 crt files and I have the key file. I have converted this to a pfx and it's installed in the windows certificate store. What should I use to secure the server?
I'm a newbie as far as internet servers go, so still very much in the learning phase.

Does hMail offer setup services?

Cheers,
Paul

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Configuring an SMTP server

Post by jim.bus » 2021-10-26 19:40

Don't know how 'newbie' you are. If you are too 'Newbie' you might want to read up first on how to set up DNS, SPF/PTR TXT entries, etc. before you attempt to do anything. There is a lot more to actually running an Email Server than just installing hMailServer.

I suggest you look at the hMailServer Latest Documentation (on hMailServer.Com) for installation and setup as a general guide and remember it won't tell you everything.

I, also, suggest you do not try to set up hMailServer only as an SMTP Server at first. If you are a 'Newbie' then it would be best to install hMailServer and use its defalut settings. If you set up everything else such as DNS, TXT, etc. correctly then hMailServer pretty much works right out of the 'box' so to speak. When you know what you are doing then you can alter settings. I find people who've never either run an Email Server before, or never used hMailServer. These people frequently have problems getting hMailServer to run properly. In my opinion this is because they don't know what they are doing but if they had gotten hMailServer working in its default configuration first then they would have a running hMailServer from which once they know what they are doing they can then alter by changing the settings. Instead of trying to debug the problems you might have from both your installation and the changes you have made to the settings. Actual installation of hMailServer itself is very simple. It's the other supporting set up (DNS, Firewall, etc.) that is somewhat more difficult if you don't know what you need.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2021-10-26 20:03

paulcoshott wrote:
2021-10-26 04:15

I have a wildcard SSL certificate for the domain. It came with 4 crt files and I have the key file. I have converted this to a pfx and it's installed in the windows certificate store. What should I use to secure the server?
I don't believe hMailServer uses PFX certificates. It does use PEM certificates. You do not need to install anything in the Windows Certificate Store for hMailServer. But you do need to install the PEM Certificates in hMailServer which you can do with the hMailAdmin Utility.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

paulcoshott
New user
New user

Post by paulcoshott » 2021-10-27 07:58

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the reply. From reading through your reply, I think I'm definitely a newbie! So if I install hMailServer and use it's default settings, what am I actually able to do with it? Without domains or accounts setup, I'm not sure what it'll actually do?

Thanks,
Paul

mattg

Post by mattg » 2021-10-27 11:44

paulcoshott wrote:
2021-10-27 07:58
Without domains or accounts setup, I'm not sure what it'll actually do?
It could forward mail to say gMail or Office365 hosted domains from a local MFC printer device that doesn't handle SSL connections

If you have a domain then you can add that and the accounts to hMailserver
Whether that works for you or not probably has more to do with your Internet connection more than anything else.

Most home type connections don't allow port 25 traffic, and often have dynamic public IP addresses
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation