Error when running "Diagnostics"

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
agatha
Normal user
Normal user

Error when running "Diagnostics"

Post by agatha » 2015-11-09 15:13

Hello,

when I run "Diagnostics" in hMail Admin, I receive an error:

ExceptionType: COMException
HelpLine:
Source: Interop.hMailServer
StackTrace: at hMailServer.DiagnosticsClass.PerformTests()
at hMailServer.Administrator.ucDiagnostics.buttonPerformTests_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
TargetSite: hMailServer.DiagnosticResults PerformTests()

hMail version: 5.6.4-B2283, Win7 x64

If I remember correctly, this worked in a former version of hMail on the same system.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards
Agatha

jimimaseye

Re: Error when running "Diagnostics"

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-11-09 15:16

Check your certificates.

Do you have HMS set to use them (SSL)? IF so, is the path to them correct?

Check the certificate: is it THERE? is it readable? Is it configured correctly?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hmail ... server.com
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

agatha
Normal user
Normal user

Post by agatha » 2015-11-09 15:24

No, I do not use SSL within hMail and i do not have any certificates on this server.

Settings->Advanced->SSL certificates: No entries
Settings->Advanced->SSL/TLS: "Verify remote ..." is unchecked, "Versions" are all checked.

And thanks for the google link - I searched "800403E9" within the forum and didn´t get this result. But only results relating to scripting errors (wrong password).

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2015-11-09 15:37

Good luck.

As you can see from the search results there is not one single cause so you may just have to do some heavy reading and work through them.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

agatha
Normal user
Normal user

Post by agatha » 2015-11-09 17:00

Well, I am quite sure, that I did not change any permissions. And Apache works fine too.

I read "viewtopic.php?t=27567#p170518", but as far as I see, my configuration is OK. Especially the service has no problems with windows permissions.
So I think it might be more likely a problem with a recently added feature in hMail (which occurs under certain circumstances).

I do not really need this function, as everything works fine. But it might be a bug. And my configuration might be a hint, to resolve this issue.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-11-10 01:00

When you run the diagnostics please leave the 'Outbound port 25 test hostname' as the default 'mail.hmailserver.com'
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

agatha
Normal user
Normal user

Post by agatha » 2015-11-10 11:55

I did both: I left the default value as well as I used a custom one.
None of them worked.

It is strange in so far, as everything works fine (pop, imap, smtp, http). It seems, hmail just failes to create the output form.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-11-11 00:01

In SMTP relayer under delivery of email, what do you have set for the 'remote host name', 'remote TCP/IP port' and the 'connection security'
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

agatha
Normal user
Normal user

Post by agatha » 2015-11-11 11:17

In SMTP relayer under delivery of email, what do you have set for the 'remote host name', 'remote TCP/IP port' and the 'connection security'
I use hMS as a local mailserver, that pulls and sends mails from/to a provider. Therefor the remote host name is the smtp address of this provider. Port is 465 and connection security is SSL/TLS.

And I do not have any problems with sending or receiving mails. No errors in the log files - nothing. And I am quite sure that diagnostics already worked on this server in this configuration (of course, I am not fully sure, sometimes you change something "small" and forget it - but basically neither OS, database nor Apache were changed. No Windows users or privileges or the hMail service were changed either).
In my opinion, only two things have changed since then: Windows updates (.net??) and hMS. But I guess, I am not the only one who runs hMS in this configuration, so it seems not to be a common problem.

The basic question is, if it is a problem in the configuration of hMS or more likely a problem with Windows.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2015-11-11 22:53

The problem is that the diagnostics don't work if you set the outgoing port to 465 in SMTP relayer.

If you want to show the diagnostics, change the port, run the diagnostics and then put the port back to where it is.
It seems this has been broken a few versions. I'll ensure that it is update on github.

agatha
Normal user
Normal user

Post by agatha » 2015-11-12 11:54

The problem is that the diagnostics don't work if you set the outgoing port to 465 in SMTP relayer.
Indeed. That´s the problem.

Thank you for the explanation!