hmail server on Wine (Linux Mint)

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
fjgh
Normal user
Normal user

hmail server on Wine (Linux Mint)

Post by fjgh » 2017-02-06 06:16

Has anybody tried using hmail on wine with success. If you have any details they would be appreciated! I am not sure that a server can be used on a program like wine but I thought I would ask.

By the way, I have been using hmail on windows for 4 years without any (not one) problems. It just keeps ticking. But its time to move it to another OS like Linux if it is at all possible.

mattg

Re: hmail server on Wine (Linux Mint)

Post by mattg » 2017-02-06 06:42

Last I heard not possible

(hMailserver uses DCOM and creates a Windows service)

Use one of the linux mail servers instead
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

fjgh
Normal user
Normal user

Post by fjgh » 2017-02-06 07:36

Thanks for the info. Its looking like in the not so distant future there will not be windows software to run apps like hmail server. Pre win10 OS are fading away slowly. Windows 10 will detect a server running on it immediately and I don't think there will be local win server software in the near future. Win server will be Cloud only if MS can do it that way only. I think hmail should be run on server software and not a desktop OS.

It looks to me that Linux is the future for local apps whether they are severs or just regular apps. I think it would be very good to see a Linux version of hmail at some time in the future. Hint, Hint.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2017-02-06 09:54

Wine can do a lot of cool tricks but .NET Framework stuff doesnt work well on top off it.
hMailServer needs .NET for Setup and hMailServer Admin. On Linux you should consider running a mature and stable Solution like Postfix+Dovecot for services like SMTP/POP3 and IMAP.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2017-02-06 12:57

fjgh wrote: Windows 10 will detect a server running on it immediately and I don't think there will be local win server software in the near future. Win server will be Cloud only if MS can do it that way only. .
FWIW, I run hMailserver on Windows 10 pro without issue

I have previosuly (for testing purposes) installed hMailserver on the free HyperV Server 2012R2 (direct on the hypervisor, you can also install Apache directly onto the hypervisor).

So many work programs run on windows, that I seriously doubt that Windows will become ONLY a cloud based desktop OS, but if it does, then we will see what needs to happen.
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

owen_a
New user
New user

Post by owen_a » 2020-04-16 09:57

Dravion wrote:
2017-02-06 09:54
Wine can do a lot of cool tricks but .NET Framework stuff doesnt work well on top off it.
hMailServer needs .NET for Setup and hMailServer Admin. On Linux you should consider running a mature and stable Solution like Postfix+Dovecot for services like SMTP/POP3 and IMAP.
Sorry to revive an old thread, however maybe hMailServer could do with being ported over to .NET 5 given it will be released soon, meaning it can run cross platform.

Dravion
Senior user
Senior user

Post by Dravion » 2020-04-16 11:43

owen_a wrote:
2020-04-16 09:57
Dravion wrote:
2017-02-06 09:54
Sorry to revive an old thread, however maybe hMailServer could do with being ported over to .NET 5 given it will be released soon, meaning it can run cross platform.

.NET (regardless which version) is totally crap on any other platform then Windows.

And no, its NOT possible to port the hmailserver core service .NET because this would be a complete rewrite of the entire server in a completely
different programming language. Besides this, hMailServer relies heavy on the C/C++ BOOST Framework which cannot be used with .NET at all.

The best effort, to support Linux (something i work on) is to rip .NET components entirely out of hMailServer.