New Account Not Being Fully Created

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Vega Discoveries
New user
New user

New Account Not Being Fully Created

Post by Vega Discoveries » 2020-04-03 22:21

A few months ago I upgraded my hMailServer to 5.6.7-B2425.
Since then we had not added a new email to a domain until about a week ago.
When setting up the new email in MS Outlook we were receiving error messages trying to connect the client to the server.
We checked the email settings to be sure they exactly matched existing accounts that are working.

Today I started digging deeper. While looking at the server logs I saw errors that when I researched the error I found docs about not creating accounts from sql directly.
It talked about creating an account in the sql table does not setup the INBOX folder correctly.

We DID NOT create the account in SQL - we used the admin GUI in windows.
To test this I created another account from the GUI. Then looked in the SQL tables.
A new account record is in hm_accounts. But, the table hm_imapfolders is missing an entry for the INBOX. It does have rows for SENT, TRASH and SPAM - but not INBOX.
Also, I looked at the folders in the file system where the emails should be stored and a folder for the email account was not created.

Perhaps this is a permissions issue in creating the folder in the file system and then the imap folder table entry is not created???? I am guessing here!
Another thing to note; I see that the accountID values jumped by 1000. Same thing with folderid's - they have jumped by 1000. In additon, I have folderaccountid's in the imap folders table that are 10,000 greater than any account in the accounts table.

Is there a later version of the admin gui we should by using?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: New Account Not Being Fully Created

Post by SorenR » 2020-04-03 23:43

You should use the hMailAdmin.exe that comes with 5.6.7-B2425.

When you install 5.6.7-B2425 it will ask to install the Server AND/OR the GUI. Server and GUI always comes as a pair.
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

Vega Discoveries
New user
New user

Post by Vega Discoveries » 2020-04-05 17:52

I have verified that I am running the correct GUI.
Even re-installed it with the installer to be sure.
Unchecked Server and only installed admin tools.
Created a new test email account, checked the folder structure and a folder for the new account DOES NOT exist.

Next steps to diagnose?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-04-05 18:09

Code: Select all

SELECT hm_imapfolders.foldername, hm_accounts.accountaddress
FROM hm_imapfolders INNER JOIN hm_accounts ON hm_imapfolders.folderaccountid = hm_accounts.accountid
WHERE hm_accounts.accountaddress = 'newaccount@mydomain.tld';
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke