DNS problems???

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
scaleo
New user
New user

DNS problems???

Post by scaleo » 2020-05-07 11:57

Hi all,

I use hMailServer 5.6.7 b2425 on a WIN10 home system and try to set up a local emailserver...

Errors are:
Test outpound port:
ERROR: The host name mail.hmailserver.com could not be resolced

Test MXrecords:
ERROR: MX records for domain scaleo.com could not be resolved

Test local connect:
ERROR: MX records for local domain scaleo.com could not be resolved.

I read all forum entries but nothing changed this problem.
I have lots of question regarding undocumented internals.

I never had to specify "mail.hmailserver.com", so why does hmailserver does not found its own internal component?

If I enter nslookup in comand line the answer is: Standardserver unknown
Does a DNS service have to be run or not? In the hmailserver requirements I didn found any info about that.
If a DNS have to be set up. How can I do that? and why does nobody talk about that?

The hmailserver GUI is quit bad. They mix the names "host" and "domain".
In Settings->SMTP->Delivery-of-email I have to enter a "local host name"
My entry is: mail.scaleo.com
But scaleo.com is the domain name not the hostname!

Thanks for help!
scaleo

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: DNS problems???

Post by palinka » 2020-05-07 14:36

First of all, there is a HELP button on every page of the admin gui. Pressing it will take you to the relevant documentation.

Secondly, mail.hmailserver.com is not any internal software component. It's a public domain. If you can't resolve it, something is critically wrong with your DNS. You need to fix that before proceeding.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-05-07 23:29

scaleo wrote:
2020-05-07 11:57
Test outpound port:
ERROR: The host name mail.hmailserver.com could not be resolced
Typically because your ISP blocks port 25 out bound - very common in a home DSL service

You would normally need a business class internet connection or you would need to use a relay service
Looks like to you already use a Dynamic DNS service for your website

scaleo wrote:
2020-05-07 11:57
The hmailserver GUI is quit bad. They mix the names "host" and "domain".
Nope

These are very different things.
On my server I host around 15 domains - My server host name doesn't need to match any of the domains, but equally could match one
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

scaleo
New user
New user

Post by scaleo » 2020-05-07 23:42

Hi palinka,

thanks so much for the HELP button tip. I wont give any further comments to such tips in a forum.

I need a local solution without any internet connectivity.
hmailserver is titled a local server.
Are you really sure about that fact? During installation there is a database configured and named hmailserver.
Why do I need a public domain "mail.hmailserver.com"?

If DNS is such a necessary service, why is there no note in the system requirement?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-05-08 00:06

scaleo wrote:
2020-05-07 23:42
Hi palinka,

thanks so much for the HELP button tip. I wont give any further comments to such tips in a forum.

Are you really sure about that fact? During installation there is a database configured and named hmailserver.

If DNS is such a necessary service, why is there no note in the system requirement?
You forgot to mention in your first post that you want an OFF-LINE server. The test you did REQUIRE internet access.
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-05-08 00:13

scaleo wrote:
Hi palinka,

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-05-08 00:15

have you read ...
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentati ... quirements

Technical knowledge
To be able to successfully set up an email server, you need to know the basics about certain techniques related to Internet and email. While some parts of the hMailServer documentation describes and discusses these things, the hMailServer documentation should not be seen as a reference documentation for these areas. You need to have a basic understanding of the following items to be able to successfully set up an email server on Windows.

Microsoft Windows
Domain names and host names
Firewalls and routers
DNS, Domain Name System
TCP/IP ports
As well as knowledge on networks, and email systems you should also have knowledge on SQL database management (of your choice) if choosing an external database.

if you dont want to use names.. ( based on DNS or on the content of a host file) you have to rely solely on ipadresses
___________________________________________________________end of the line
spam filter appliance gateway: www.mailcleaner.org

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-05-08 04:34

scaleo wrote:
The Help button is contextual, in that if you press help in ANY page you taken to the help FOR THAT PAGE

This is unusual for most software, as for most software the help button takes you to an index

It was the contextualization of the help button that Palinka pointed out
palinka wrote:
2020-05-07 14:36
First of all, there is a HELP button on every page of the admin gui. Pressing it will take you to the relevant documentation.
Palinka wasn't being rude or saying RTFM, your response however...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

Virinum
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Virinum » 2020-05-08 12:57

Isn’t this exactly what you want to achieve?

https://www.hmailserver.com/documentati ... t_up_local

scaleo
New user
New user

Post by scaleo » 2020-05-09 17:41

Hi Virinum,
yes it seems to be what I want to have ...

... but following the description, doesn't be successfully:

>> Create the domain
>> Start hMailServer Administrator and select Add domain.
In my understanding "adding" a domain creates it like other "add" actions. But hmailserver only connects to that domain -isn't it?

>> Type in a made-up domain name such as companyname.local. To prevent confusion, it's recommended that you do not choose a domain name already used by someone else on the Internet.
>> Make sure the domain is enabled / active.

How shall I "enable and activate" the local domain?
This is not precise enough for me.
I assume, I need an additional desktop server software to handle a local/offline/stand-alone domain. Is that right?
So I have to handle 2 server software for setting up the local/offline/stand-alone emailserver, (please remember, I only have a Win10 Home system available).

Well I know, such problems should not be discussed here, they are base knowledge for using hmailserver. That's OK for me, we can close this thread.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-05-09 18:54

scaleo wrote:
2020-05-09 17:41
Hi Virinum,
yes it seems to be what I want to have ...

... but following the description, doesn't be successfully:

>> Create the domain
>> Start hMailServer Administrator and select Add domain.
In my understanding "adding" a domain creates it like other "add" actions. But hmailserver only connects to that domain -isn't it?

>> Type in a made-up domain name such as companyname.local. To prevent confusion, it's recommended that you do not choose a domain name already used by someone else on the Internet.
>> Make sure the domain is enabled / active.

How shall I "enable and activate" the local domain?
This is not precise enough for me.
I assume, I need an additional desktop server software to handle a local/offline/stand-alone domain. Is that right?
So I have to handle 2 server software for setting up the local/offline/stand-alone emailserver, (please remember, I only have a Win10 Home system available).

Well I know, such problems should not be discussed here, they are base knowledge for using hmailserver. That's OK for me, we can close this thread.
Perhaps you need a technical person to help you.
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-05-09 23:19

SorenR wrote:
2020-05-09 18:54
Perhaps you need a technical person to help you.
+1

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-05-10 22:51

perhaps you want something like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBbowfHQ18U

or using with hosts file
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDQxsiln6pk
___________________________________________________________end of the line
spam filter appliance gateway: www.mailcleaner.org

scaleo
New user
New user

Post by scaleo » 2020-05-12 18:45

Hi johang,

thanks a lot! The local offline server works fine now.
Your youtube links show how to enhance the hosts file. This was what I had to do.
This host file seems to be a "fix DNS". Its a simple lookup table IP-address <--> domain-name. All my local network servers work on a fix IP address, so this simple solution is sufficient for me.
After my first try the hmailserver admin dialog shows me an additional entry according to the IP-address of corresponding PC within the "advanced->IP-Ranges" Settings. After allowing access the email server and client were able to talk to each other.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-05-13 01:06

scaleo wrote:
2020-05-12 18:45
After my first try the hmailserver admin dialog shows me an additional entry according to the IP-address of corresponding PC within the "advanced->IP-Ranges" Settings. After allowing access the email server and client were able to talk to each other.
ONLY if you (or someone else) has added that

Please run some open relay tests to confirm that you haven't created an open relay
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentati ... elay_tests