Automatic installation of hmailserver without installation GUI

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
naren
New user
New user

Automatic installation of hmailserver without installation GUI

Post by naren » 2020-05-22 06:25

Can we install hmailserver without GUI ? Is there a way to automate the installation by use some kind of .json file or settings file to proceed for installation by reading the required settings from .json file or settings file.

mattg

Re: Automatic installation of hmailserver without installation GUI

Post by mattg » 2020-05-22 08:41

What is your use case?

Every time we see this request we think that perhaps you will be installing malware to send mass spam, and that doesn't match what we do here...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

naren
New user
New user

Post by naren » 2020-05-26 06:50

Our request is basically to spin up new server on fail over of existing server. To do this we would want to configure server settings and data base setting in file from which the automated installation reads and uses those values during installation.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-05-26 10:42

naren wrote:
2020-05-26 06:50
Our request is basically to spin up new server on fail over of existing server. To do this we would want to configure server settings and data base setting in file from which the automated installation reads and uses those values during installation.
Have you heard of PC Magazine utility InCtrl5 (5'th generation) ? It still exists, I used it (first generation) back in 2000 to track software installs on Win95, 98 and NT in case I hit something without an uninstaller. :mrgreen:

I presume you should be able to extract Registry information and file location with InCtrl5 so rebuilding a new server could be as easy as copy files to new install, merge registry changes and boot server...

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/download/did/1072/
4. InCtrl5

InCtrl5 is an incredibly old tool dating way back to the year 2000 but some users may have heard or used it before, and it can still do a job with a little bit of effort. There are one or two issues with it though which require a bit of knowledge to use the program effectively. First, unsurprisingly InCtrl5 will need to be run in compatibility mode for Windows Vista, 7 or 8.

Secondly, there is an issue with it’s output results for 64-bit users as it won’t display the Software\Wow6432Node registry keys as coming from there, but will instead show them as coming from simply Software, something to watch out for.

Using the program is pretty easy and it will track changes to the registry, drives and folders, ini files and also specific text files. Inclusions and exclusions can be configured by using the What to track buttons. After selecting the installer you want to track, it will create the before snapshot for you.

Then you install the software and press the Install Complete button to create the after snapshot and the analysis, which could take a little while. The result will then open up a window where it can be viewed or saved as HTM, TXT or CSV files formats.
Read More: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/tracking-re ... n-windows/
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke