delivery queue empty

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
peterqc
New user
New user

delivery queue empty

Post by peterqc » 2020-07-01 22:11

I have just set up hMailServer to assess its feasibility. Everything seems to work apart from the Delivery Queue. I can receive emails from my POP external server and deliver them to an outlook client, and send emails from outlook via hMailServer to my smtp server. I can see individual files for the emails in the data folder. But nothing ever appears in the Delivery Queue.

I have tried running the synchronise tool to no effect. I have set outlook to manual send / receive, so my understanding is that the undelivered emails should show in the delivery queue. But it is always blank. There is a hMailServer.sdf file in the database folder

I suspect this is a set up issue but can find nothing of relevance in the documentation.

Any help gratefully appreciated

Peter

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Re: delivery queue empty

Post by jim.bus » 2020-07-02 08:51

I don't know if you understand the function of the Delivery Queue. I'm not up very much on it either but I've seen how it appears to be used.

First your statements are a little confusing because you seem to be referencing other servers other than hMailServer and I don't know if you are misusing the term or if you really mean, for instance, that hMailServer is sending email to your SMTP Server separate from hMailServer.

First, hMailServer consists of 3 email server (so to speak) functions combined into one email server called hMailServer. Therefore, hMailServer, performas all these functions. If I were to go into my hMailAdmin utility at any given time and look at the Delivery Queue I most likely would not see anything in the Delivery Queue unless if I possibly had a large amount of email messages which had not all processed yet. My email volume is extremely low so I really never see anything in the Delivery Queue. I have only recently started seeing email messages in the Delivery Queue of my MX Backup Email hMailServer. this is becausee this hMailServer is used as an MX Backup Emails Server which means that I have two hMailServers. One is my Primary Email Server. The other is my MX Backup Email Server. As an MX Backup Email Server its function is to receive email that could not be delivered to my Primary Email Server due to not being able to connect for whatever reason. When my Primary Email Server is back up and functioning again then the MX Backup Email Server Delivers the stored Email in its Delivery Queue back to the Primary Email Server. So this is the main time I will ever see email messages showing in the Delivery Queue.

The Delivery Queue, based on how I see hMailServer perform, is used to store email messages before they are Delivered to another SMTP Email Server (not Outlook or any other client). Since email being received by my Primary Email Server is not Delivering that Email to any other Email Server, it never shows in my Delivery Queue because it is the receiving Email Server. In the case of my MX Backup hMailServer, it receives the email and attempts to deliver it to my Primary hMailServer which may be down at the time of the Delivery Attempt. So while my Primary hMailServer is not up, my MX Backup hMailServer will have to wait to Deliver the stored email which sits in its Delivery Queue until it Delivers this stored email to my Primary Email Server.

So in my example and observed behavior of my hMailServer, I will rarely see if at all any email messages in its Delivery Queue because it usually delivers the email to the recipient Email Server before I ever look in the Delivery Queue. So as I understand the function, you'll only see email in the Delivery Queue if its waiting to be delivered to another Email Server.

You could try looking at your Log Entries when you send an email through hMailServer. When it reaches the Delivery stage of the process you will probably see where there is an entry which staes how long the email message was queued waiting to be Delivered. You will most likely see a very, very small amount time it remains Queued. So in order to see anything in the Delivery Queue there would have to be a lot of Email waiting to be delivered to the Recipient Email Server.

In other words, I suspect there is nothing wrong with your setup if I understand what you are trying to describe correctly.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-02 14:34

peterqc wrote:
2020-07-01 22:11
I have just set up hMailServer to assess its feasibility. Everything seems to work apart from the Delivery Queue. I can receive emails from my POP external server and deliver them to an outlook client, and send emails from outlook via hMailServer to my smtp server. I can see individual files for the emails in the data folder. But nothing ever appears in the Delivery Queue.

I have tried running the synchronise tool to no effect. I have set outlook to manual send / receive, so my understanding is that the undelivered emails should show in the delivery queue. But it is always blank. There is a hMailServer.sdf file in the database folder

I suspect this is a set up issue but can find nothing of relevance in the documentation.

Any help gratefully appreciated

Peter
hMailServer IS a fully contained POP/IMAP/SMTP server capable of replacing Exim/Postfix/Exchange etc..

Perhaps you are not fast enough when monitoring the Delivery Queue :roll: The Delivery Queue is "The Office Mail Clerk" and he/she/it will only hold messages until the message it is delivered in your INBOX on the server for your Outlook client to collect.

Messages sent using SMTP only stay in Delivery Queue until delivered to the recipient server...
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

peterqc
New user
New user

Post by peterqc » 2020-07-02 22:36

Thank you for the responses. You are correct - I did not understand the purpose of the delivery queue.

I currently use an old mailserver which is no longer supported, and it presented an Inbox and an Outbox in its administration console. These showed the incoming emails (and summary info such as From) waiting to be picked up by Outlook, and outgoing emails waiting to be sent to the external smtp server. This was a useful feature, and I hoped that was what the delivery queue represented.

It looks like the email folders in the data/domain/user fulfil the same purpose but are not as user friendly as a simple list. I understand that a message list is stored in the mssql ce database - how do I gain access to this to view the data therein?

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-07-02 23:16

peterqc wrote:
2020-07-02 22:36
Thank you for the responses. You are correct - I did not understand the purpose of the delivery queue.

I currently use an old mailserver which is no longer supported, and it presented an Inbox and an Outbox in its administration console. These showed the incoming emails (and summary info such as From) waiting to be picked up by Outlook, and outgoing emails waiting to be sent to the external smtp server. This was a useful feature, and I hoped that was what the delivery queue represented.

It looks like the email folders in the data/domain/user fulfil the same purpose but are not as user friendly as a simple list. I understand that a message list is stored in the mssql ce database - how do I gain access to this to view the data therein?
Again, I am not familiar with the Compact Edition built in Database but the Database is supposed to hold essentially a pointer to the actual email message is my understanding. The message itself is not in the Database. The message is in the hMailServer Data Folder but you will not like that format either because all you see is the access file name which is a string of Hex characters I believe but when you open this 'File Name' then you can see the message or at least I could as it opened the message in the format of an Outlook Email Message. Eventually, sometime after the message is read, that message should get cleared out of the Data Folder.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-03 00:09

peterqc wrote:
2020-07-02 22:36

Only Metadata is indexed/stored in the database. The actual email is stored raw as .eml file format in ..\hMailServer\Data\<domain>\<username>\<XX>\{XX.....}.eml The first two characters of the filename is equal to the folder it is stored in.

No email content (body) information is stored in the database.

It appears you would need Visual Studio or similar tool to view MSSQL Compact databases. I believe there are some free 3'rd party tools "out there".
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-07-03 09:10

SorenR wrote:
2020-07-03 00:09
It appears you would need Visual Studio or similar tool to view MSSQL Compact databases. I believe there are some free 3'rd party tools "out there".
I use a free download called "database browser (portable) " to view the built-in SQL CE database. etl-tools.com / database-browser

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829