Again: rDNS and HELO

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
M*I*B
Normal user
Normal user

Again: rDNS and HELO

Post by M*I*B » 2020-07-13 11:45

Hello all,

after moving an other hMail to a new server (with an other IP) again get trouble with that stuff due MXtools tell me "Reverse DNS is not a valid Hostname" (I hate to read that... realy!)

Ok, what I have do:

DNS: MX point to FQDN.de (and not to mail.FQDN.de)
rDNS: Servers IP point to FQDN.de
hMail: /Settings/Protocols/SMTP/General/Other/Welcome message" is also set to FQDN.de
hMail: /Settings/Protocols/SMTP/Delivery of e-mail/Local host name" is also set to FQDN.de
CNAME: mail.FQDN.de point to FQDN.de

What is wrong with this?
... with much greetings ...

Micha

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Again: rDNS and HELO

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-13 13:19

since the introduction of cloud services where people keep their mailservers on potentially 100's of servers I believe rDNS has lost it's momentum.

My rDNS no longer match since change of ISP last year and so far NO major mail provider rejected mails from me. Well, actually NO mailserver refused to talk to my mailserver. :mrgreen:

Anyways... This is what I do... (since my connection is NAT'et I use same IP for "10.0.0.1", "10.0.0.2" and "10.0.0.3". Idealy PTR should point to mail.FQDN.de.

hMailAdmin -> Settings -> Protocols -> SMTP [Delivery of email] : Local host name = "mail.FQDN.de"

You should be able to figure how much of the zone file below you need. If using external DNS hosting you should only configure A, MX and CNAME.

Code: Select all

;
;  Database file FQDN.de.dns for FQDN.de zone.
;      Zone version:  1
;

@       IN  SOA ns.FQDN.de.  hostmaster.FQDN.de. (
                1            ; serial number
                28800        ; refresh
                900          ; retry
                604800       ; expire
                86400      ) ; default TTL

;
;  Zone NS records
;

@       NS      ns.FQDN.de.

;
;  Zone MX records
;

@       MX 10   mail.FQDN.de.

;
;  Zone records
;

@       A       10.0.0.1
ns      A       10.0.0.2
mail    A       10.0.0.3
www     CNAME   FQDN.de.
SørenR.

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

M*I*B
Normal user
Normal user

Post by M*I*B » 2020-07-13 13:30

... ty for the open words; I have today two target with "Remote server replied: 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC5321 4.1.1.1)". But the HELO and all other are the same. I also have last week some targets bounce it back due wrong rDNS... So I can not confirm your statement regarding rDNS...
Meanwhile it work's again to the ones have denied befor; don't ask me why... :roll:

Global:
From my point of view it doesn't matter whether I have entered FQDN.tld everywhere or mail.FQDN.tld as long as it is really everywhere ... Or am I wrong?
... with much greetings ...

Micha

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-07-13 13:57

M*I*B wrote:
2020-07-13 13:30
... ty for the open words; I have today two target with "Remote server replied: 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC5321 4.1.1.1)". But the HELO and all other are the same. I also have last week some targets bounce it back due wrong rDNS... So I can not confirm your statement regarding rDNS...
Meanwhile it work's again to the ones have denied befor; don't ask me why... :roll:

Global:
From my point of view it doesn't matter whether I have entered FQDN.tld everywhere or mail.FQDN.tld as long as it is really everywhere ... Or am I wrong?
it should not matter as long as it is really everywhere .. but ... :lol: :lol: but it is "safer" to use FQDN as hostname.domainname.tld
( and in your dns zone you have the record : @ A x.x.x.x ? ) ( and of course x.x.x.x is your IP of the server, only put i here because others read this too )
___________________________________________________________end of the line
spam filter appliance gateway: www.mailcleaner.org