Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
Post Reply
markm75
New user
New user
Posts: 4
Joined: 2020-07-26 21:35

Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by markm75 » 2020-07-26 21:43

I have the hmail server on a windows 10 machine as the main install.

I wasnt sure what to put for domain, so i just called the domain "localhost"
Under settings smtp protocols i have the relay info for smtp.gmail.com and the generated password here.

Doing an email test within the server application seems to connect ok to smtp.gmail.com on 587

Under advanced tcp ip smtp ports, the local ip address is there with port 25 and no password required.

If i go to another machine windows 10 in my network and use for instance acronis notification settings and try to specify my windows 10 hmail server name and port 25 with no security, it never connects.
I've tried by the hmail server ip address as well, no luck there.

Under the domain name info area i have not added any accounts etc, i didnt think this was needed to just allow port 25 to be open and working from this machine address. edit: tried adding an account and then referencing this from the test smtp send machine within acronis, no luck

Under settings advanced, bind to local ip address i have it blank but i tried specifying the windows 10 hmail server ip address with no luck.

Any ideas what im missing here?
Thanks in advance

User avatar
johang
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 291
Joined: 2008-09-01 09:20

Re: Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by johang » 2020-07-26 22:16

markm75 wrote:
2020-07-26 21:43
I have the hmail server on a windows 10 machine as the main install.

I wasnt sure what to put for domain, so i just called the domain "localhost"
Under settings smtp protocols i have the relay info for smtp.gmail.com and the generated password here.

Doing an email test within the server application seems to connect ok to smtp.gmail.com on 587

Under advanced tcp ip smtp ports, the local ip address is there with port 25 and no password required.

If i go to another machine windows 10 in my network and use for instance acronis notification settings and try to specify my windows 10 hmail server name and port 25 with no security, it never connects.
I've tried by the hmail server ip address as well, no luck there.

Under the domain name info area i have not added any accounts etc, i didnt think this was needed to just allow port 25 to be open and working from this machine address. edit: tried adding an account and then referencing this from the test smtp send machine within acronis, no luck

Under settings advanced, bind to local ip address i have it blank but i tried specifying the windows 10 hmail server ip address with no luck.

Any ideas what im missing here?
Thanks in advance

Code: Select all

Under advanced tcp ip smtp ports, the local ip address is there with port 25 and no password required.
i am not sure i understand .. ( you should not change [settings][advanced][TCP/IP address] ; you should use 0.0.0.0 !!! ) there is no setting for "no password required" there ... what do you mean ?


if you test locally on your win10 PC with hmailserver installed, can you telnet to port 25 locally ?
and
have you opened your local firewall on your win10 computer to accept traffic on port 25 for other computers to use ?


and if what i have written sofar is not getting you anywhere..
go here https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 20&t=30914 run it and post result here
___________________________________________________________end of the line
spam filter appliance gateway: www.mailcleaner.org

markm75
New user
New user
Posts: 4
Joined: 2020-07-26 21:35

Re: Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by markm75 » 2020-07-26 23:07

johang wrote:
2020-07-26 22:16
markm75 wrote:
2020-07-26 21:43
I have the hmail server on a windows 10 machine as the main install.

I wasnt sure what to put for domain, so i just called the domain "localhost"
Under settings smtp protocols i have the relay info for smtp.gmail.com and the generated password here.

Doing an email test within the server application seems to connect ok to smtp.gmail.com on 587

Under advanced tcp ip smtp ports, the local ip address is there with port 25 and no password required.

If i go to another machine windows 10 in my network and use for instance acronis notification settings and try to specify my windows 10 hmail server name and port 25 with no security, it never connects.
I've tried by the hmail server ip address as well, no luck there.

Under the domain name info area i have not added any accounts etc, i didnt think this was needed to just allow port 25 to be open and working from this machine address. edit: tried adding an account and then referencing this from the test smtp send machine within acronis, no luck

Under settings advanced, bind to local ip address i have it blank but i tried specifying the windows 10 hmail server ip address with no luck.

Any ideas what im missing here?
Thanks in advance

Code: Select all

Under advanced tcp ip smtp ports, the local ip address is there with port 25 and no password required.
i am not sure i understand .. ( you should not change [settings][advanced][TCP/IP address] ; you should use 0.0.0.0 !!! ) there is no setting for "no password required" there ... what do you mean ?


if you test locally on your win10 PC with hmailserver installed, can you telnet to port 25 locally ?
and
have you opened your local firewall on your win10 computer to accept traffic on port 25 for other computers to use ?


and if what i have written sofar is not getting you anywhere..
go here https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 20&t=30914 run it and post result here
putting 0.0.0.0 helped slightly.

Now i get error 503 from the other win 10 workstation.

Must have sender and recipient first

On the remote workstation if i try to telnet ie: telnet machinename 25 it connects i think, then snaps back to the command prompt quickly, if i do telnet in the same manner from the actual win 10 hmail server, it says 220 machinename ESMTP and a blank cursor.
I also tried removing the domains to get this far.



Here is the diagnostic output:

Code: Select all

2020-07-26   Hmailserver: 5.6.7-B2425

DOMAINS
     (No Domains Entered)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IP RANGES

IP: 127.0.0.7 - 127.0.0.7     Priority: 15     Name: localhost

  Allow connections                         Other
     SMTP:   True                              Antispam :   True !! 'Spam tests' not enabled !!
     POP3:   True !! Protocol DISABLED !!      Antivirus:   True !! ANTIVIRUS NOT CONFIGURED !!
     IMAP:   True                              SSL/TLS:    False

  Allow Deliveries from                     Require Authentication from
     Local To Local       -  True              Local To Local       - False
     Local To External    -  True              Local To External    - False
     External To Local    -  True              External To Local    - False
     External To External -  True              External To External -  True


IP: 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255     Priority: 10     Name: Internet

  Allow connections                         Other
     SMTP:   True                              Antispam :   True !! 'Spam tests' not enabled !!
     POP3:   True !! Protocol DISABLED !!      Antivirus:   True !! ANTIVIRUS NOT CONFIGURED !!
     IMAP:   True                              SSL/TLS:    False

  Allow Deliveries from                     Require Authentication from
     Local To Local       -  True              Local To Local       -  True
     Local To External    -  True              Local To External    -  True
     External To Local    -  True              External To Local    - False
     External To External -  True              External To External -  True


------------------------------------------------------
AUTOBANNED Local Addresses:
    No entries

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTOBAN
  Autoban Enabled: False

No problems were found in the IP range configuration.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INCOMING RELAYS
   No entries
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIRRORING         Disabled
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROTOCOLS

SMTP
GENERAL             DELIVERY                  RFC COMPLIANCE            ADVANCED
No. Connections:  0  No Retries:  4 Mins: 60   Plain Text:        False  Bind: 192.168.0.7
                     Host: EXTERNAL.TLD        Empty sender:       True  Batch recipients:   100
Max Msg Size: 20480  Relay:-                   Incorrect endings:  True  Use STARTTLS:     False
                      EXTERNAL.TLD  (ok)       Disc. on invalid:  False  Delivered-To hdr: False
                     Port: 587                                           Loop limit:           5
                     Req Auth: True *User Entered*                       Recipient hosts:     15
                     Con. Sec.: StartTLS Required
  Routes:
     No routes defined.

POP3
 !! Service Not Enabled !!

IMAP
 GENERAL                   PUBLIC FOLDERS                    ADVANCED
  No. Connections:   0      Public folder name: #Public       IMAP sort:  True
                                                              IMAP Quota: True
                                                              IMAP Idle:  True
                                                              IMAP ACL:   True
                                                              Delim: "."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTISPAM

GENERAL                              SPAM TESTS              Score   SPAMASSASSIN
  Spam Mark:                  5       Use SPF:           False        Use Spamassassin:   False
  Add X-HmailServer-Spam:     True    Check HELO host:   False    
  Add X-HmailServer-Reason:   True    Check MX records:  False    
  Add X-HmailServer-Subject: False    Verify DKIM:       False    

  Spam delete threshold: 20         Maximum message size: 1024

DNSBL ENTRIES:
   No 'enabled' entries

SURBL ENTRIES:
   No 'enabled' entries

GREYLISTING:
  Greylisting:  False

WHITELISTING
   No entries
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTIVIRUS:  No application configured.

  Block Attachments: False
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSL CERTIFICATES
   No entries
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SSL/TLS
             SSL 3.0 :  False
             TLS 1.0 :   True
             TLS 1.1 :   True
             TLS 1.2 :   True                Verify Remote SSL/TLS Certs:   True
SslCipherList  :

ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256     - ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256   - ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384     
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384   - DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256       - DHE-DSS-AES128-GCM-SHA256       
kEDH+AESGCM                     - ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256         - ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA256       
ECDHE-RSA-AES128-SHA            - ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-SHA          - ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA384         
ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA384       - ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA            - ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-SHA          
DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA256           - DHE-RSA-AES128-SHA              - DHE-DSS-AES128-SHA256           
DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA256           - DHE-DSS-AES256-SHA              - DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA              
AES128-GCM-SHA256               - AES256-GCM-SHA384               - ECDHE-RSA-RC4-SHA               
ECDHE-ECDSA-RC4-SHA             - AES128                          - AES256                          
RC4-SHA                         - HIGH                            - !aNULL                          
!eNULL                          - !EXPORT                         - !DES                            
!3DES                           - !MD5                            - !PSK;                           
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCPIP PORTS                                         Connection Sec
               0.0.0.0         / 25    / SMTP   -   None                
               0.0.0.0         / 110   / POP3   -   None                
               0.0.0.0         / 143   / IMAP   -   None                
               0.0.0.0         / 587   / SMTP   -   None                
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOGGING      Logging Enabled: True

  Paths:-
    Current:  C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs\hmailserver_2020-07-26.log
    Error:    C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs\ERROR_hmailserver_2020-07-26.log - !! ERRORS PRESENT !!
    Event:    C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs\hmailserver_events.log - Not present
    Awstats:  C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs\hmailserver_awstats.log
                        APPLICATION -    True
                        SMTP        -    True
                        POP3        -      .
                        IMAP        -    True
                        TCPIP       -      .
                        DEBUG       -    True
                        AWSTATS     -      .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYSTEM TESTS

Database type: MSSQL Compact

IPv6 support is available in operating system.

ERROR: Backup directory has not been specified.

Relative message paths are stored in the database for all messages.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HMAILSERVER.INI

[Directories]
Program folder:  C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\
Database folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Database
Data folder:     C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Data
Log folder:      C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs
Temp folder:     C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Temp
Event folder:    C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Events

[Database]
Type=              MSSQLCE
Username=           
PasswordEncryption=1
Port=              0
Server=             
Internal=          1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generated by HMSSettingsDiagnostics v2.01, Hmailserver Forum.

User avatar
johang
Senior user
Senior user
Posts: 291
Joined: 2008-09-01 09:20

Re: Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by johang » 2020-07-26 23:21

i would recommend you creating a user with a password, and use an email client.

503 Issue a reset if you want to start over
When an email client delivers an email message to an email server, it starts of by telling the server the senders address. After it has done this, a transaction is started which is not finished before the entire message has been delivered to the email server. If the client wishes to abort the transaction and send another message, it should issue the RSET command. If a client, in the middle of a transaction, tries to send a new email without first aborting the current transaction, hMailServer issues this error message. This indicates a bug in the SMTP client.


if you dont want any smtp authenication be sure to uncheck "Require SMTP authenication" in your IPranges that would apply to your particular config-
but acually i recommend that you set up a user and authenicate and see to it that it works..
___________________________________________________________end of the line
spam filter appliance gateway: www.mailcleaner.org

User avatar
jimimaseye
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8680
Joined: 2011-09-08 17:48

Re: Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-07-26 23:24

Bind: 192.168.0.7
Unless you have 2 nics, get rid f of that.

Also worth no domain setup, every delivery attempt will be external to external - which you have set to require authentication.

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

User avatar
mattg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20970
Joined: 2007-06-14 05:12
Location: 'The Outback' Australia

Re: Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by mattg » 2020-07-26 23:38

AND

What is the contents of this log file??
C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs\ERROR_hmailserver_2020-07-26.log
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

markm75
New user
New user
Posts: 4
Joined: 2020-07-26 21:35

Re: Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by markm75 » 2020-07-27 00:11

mattg wrote:
2020-07-26 23:38
AND

What is the contents of this log file??
C:\Program Files (x86)\hMailServer\Logs\ERROR_hmailserver_2020-07-26.log
"ERROR" 6688 "2020-07-26 15:10:55.395" "Severity: 3 (Medium), Code: HM5007, Source: SMTPDeliverer::DeliverMessage(), Description: Message 1 could not be delivered. No remaining recipients.

markm75
New user
New user
Posts: 4
Joined: 2020-07-26 21:35

Re: Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by markm75 » 2020-07-27 00:15

Adding a domain and specifying that fake domain admin@domainetc.com with password seems to have worked (referencing my hmail machine name for the server).

It would have been nice to not need authentication, but at least this is working now.
Thanks for the assistance all

User avatar
mattg
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20970
Joined: 2007-06-14 05:12
Location: 'The Outback' Australia

Re: Gmail relay and connect to hmailserver not working?

Post by mattg » 2020-07-27 02:27

To get it to work without an account and domain...
jimimaseye wrote:
2020-07-26 23:24
Also worth no domain setup, every delivery attempt will be external to external - which you have set to require authentication
Make sure you ONLY enable external to external for for LAN ip range, not the internet IP range or you will be sending spam from around the world very quickly, and then get blacklisted
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

Post Reply