Can't receive emails sent from website email form

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
redflyerone
New user
New user

Can't receive emails sent from website email form

Post by redflyerone » 2020-07-31 04:40

Hello,
I cannot receive emails when they are sent from my website email form.
They get stored in the hmailserver folder ' Pickup ' but are not delivered to the final recipient.
However, when I use my pc outlook, there is no problem in Send/Receive, and I get my emails.
From my research, it seems that there is an issue with the smtp configuration in the IIS (windows server).
Should I disable the IIS smtp port 25 ?
How should I configure my server IIS and/or hmailserver smtp ?
Thank you for any help.
Eric

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Can't receive emails sent from website email form

Post by jim.bus » 2020-07-31 07:24

I am not very familiar with webmail clients. But email Clients Send/Receive email messages from hMailServer on the following Ports:
1. Port 110 POP3 Unencrypted email messages.
2. Port 995 POP3 Encrypted email messages.
3. Port 143 IMAP Unencrypted email messages.
4. Port 993 IMAP Encrypted email messages.
5. Port 25 SMTP Unencrypted Email Messages.
6. Port 465 SMTP Encrypted Email Messages.
7. Port 587 SMTP Encrypted Email Messages.

You need to check for one thing if you have the Ports specified in items 1 through 4 in your TCP/IP Ports in order for your email Client to receive your email messages from hMailServer. The Ports in items 5 through 7 need to be specified to be able to send email from your Webmail Client. Port 25 is also used to receive email from an email Server. From your statements it would appear your Outlook email Client is configured correct to be able to Send/Receive with hMailServer. You then should look to your Webmail Client which is what I believe you are referring to and check its configuration to make sure it is accessing hMailServer on those Ports for the appropriate Protocol. I suspect your Webmail Client (as I believe that is what you mean by your website email form) is not configured to Send/Receive from hMailServer on the correct Port(s). My understanding is that Webmail clients usually use IMAP to Receive email messages from an email Server (in this case hMailServer).

If your Webmail Client is configured correctly then check your Router Port Forwarding and hMailServer PC Firewall. These Router Ports need to be Port Forwarded to the computer with hMailServer running on it. These Ports need to be open on your hMailServer PC Firewall in order for your Webmail Client to be able to connect to hMailServer so your email messages can be Send/Received to/from your Webmail client.

I would also check your hMailServer Logs and check all Log Options so that you can see all that is happening when your Webmail Client connects (if at all) to hMailServer. Hope this helps.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-07-31 07:31

Update to my prior Post. You should also check hMailServer to make sure SMTP, POP3, and IMAP are enabled.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-07-31 08:43

IIS smtp server uses pickup folder

hmailserver does not use pickup folder

and you cant on 1 server have 2 mail server operating on port 25 at the same time...

so when you write:
redflyerone wrote:
2020-07-31 04:40
They get stored in the hmailserver folder ' Pickup ' but are not delivered to the final recipient.
are they sent (involving IIS smtp server)? or are they stored in a 'pickup folder' ( which is not read by hmailserver ) ?
However, when I use my pc outlook, there is no problem in Send/Receive, and I get my emails.
so your hmailserver setup is working is my guess
From my research, it seems that there is an issue with the smtp configuration in the IIS (windows server).
Should I disable the IIS smtp port 25 ?
How should I configure my server IIS and/or hmailserver smtp ?
the issue is .. you cant have 2 servers running on the same port ( in this case smtp port 25 )
you could.. configure the IIS smtp server to use an alternative port, if it is not talking to other servers than your hmailserver.. you could set it to reside on port 26 for instance ..
https://forums.iis.net/post/2041245.aspx
locally on the same computer you could then have pickup folder functionality from IIS with sending/recieving on port 26 ( for example ) to your hmailserver port 25 that would then send it to the world

or perphaps you found some other scripts or ways to make hmailserver use a 'pickup' folder but it does not come out of the box .. if so .. explain more..
___________________________________________________________end of the line
spam filter appliance gateway: www.mailcleaner.org

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-08-01 01:57

johang wrote:
2020-07-31 08:43
so when you write:
redflyerone wrote:
2020-07-31 04:40
are they sent (involving IIS smtp server)? or are they stored in a 'pickup folder' ( which is not read by hmailserver ) ?
Yep
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation