Cannot send mail via client

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Cannot send mail via client

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-22 21:38

illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-22 17:33
Email are already in spam folder again.. before even sending any mail..

anyway I decided to purchase a domain from GoDaddy... and I did so.. I got 1 year of use for 1$

so this is where I am at:

I will get you started but I can't tell you how to do all the things you want such as DKIM. I use it myself but it is more complicated to explain and as I don't do it often I don't want to try to give you a tutorial on it. what I will give you should get you to a point where Email Servers generally won't complain as I used this level of DNS setup for years without problems.

You need to add an A-Record which points to your External Public IP Address. I'm assuming you have a Local Network which is connected to a Router and your hMailServer is within your Local Network. You should be able to find your External Public IP Address (sometimes called the WAN IP Address) in your Router User Interface.

You need to add an A Record, MX Record, and a TXT Record:

Type = A
Name = any prefix for your hostname (subdomain name) you want such as mail. This will generate a hostname of 'mail.domain.tld' where 'tld' is the Top Level Domain of the Domain you purchased such as .com

Type = MX
Host = @
Points to = 'hostname' you created in the A Record above. In my example this would be something like mail.domain.com
Priority = some number such as 10 as long as it is the lowest Priority number of any other MX Records you may have.

Type = TXT
Name = @
Value = v=spf1 a mx ptr mx:mail.domain.com ptr:mail.domain.com -all (The first set of 'a ptr' in the TXT string I don't think are really necessary but it is what was first generated by GoDaddy for me so I kept it.)
TTL = 1 hour should be fine

The above TXT Record sets up your SPF and PTR (Reverse DNS) information.

This is the DNS set up I used for years without any problems. You will gain more reputation by adding the DKIM TXT Record and DMARC Recoreds but as I said I can't get into a tutorial on how to add the DKIM and entering the 'Key' for your DKIM signing in GoDaddy TXT Records is compicated and even the GoDaddy Support people didn't know how to do it. I had to do it by trial and error. The problem is the Key depending on long it is has to be entered in pieces and concatenated together to get one long TXT Record.

With the above this should get you going with the minimum you need so that Email Servers will not reject Emails your Email Server sends.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-11-23 01:34

illidan5 wrote:
That's a hell of a feat!

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-23 13:34

At this point, I don't know if this question is relevant but go back to your first posting and tell me why your client is connecting to mail.hmailserver.com. See the following from your testing logs:

Attempting mail.hmailserver.com:25...
Trying to connect to host mail.hmailserver.com...
Trying to connect to TCP/IP address 5.189.183.138 on port 25.
Received: 220 mail.hmailserver.com ESMTP.
Connected successfully.

Your Client Program should not be connecting to mail.hmailserver.com. This server belongs to the hMailServer.com website and is not your email server. IP Address 5.189.183.138 belongs to mail.hmailserver.com. Your client doesn't have access to any email accounts that would be hosted on this email server.

Virinum
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Virinum » 2020-11-23 14:12

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-23 13:34
Your Client Program should not be connecting to mail.hmailserver.com. This server belongs to the hMailServer.com website and is not your email server. IP Address 5.189.183.138 belongs to mail.hmailserver.com. Your client doesn't have access to any email accounts that would be hosted on this email server.
This part seems to be from Utilities -> Diagnostics. And not from his C# program.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-23 14:25

Virinum wrote:
2020-11-23 14:12
jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-23 13:34
This part seems to be from Utilities -> Diagnostics. And not from his C# program.
If you look further down in his first Posting you will see this statement he makes.

trying to put 5.189.183.138 in 'host' :

It looks like even if 'mail.hmailserver.com' wasn't in his Client Program he later substituted the IP Address of mail.hmailserver.com into his Client Program.

Virinum
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Virinum » 2020-11-23 15:34

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-23 14:25
If you look further down in his first Posting you will see this statement he makes.

It looks like even if 'mail.hmailserver.com' wasn't in his Client Program he later substituted the IP Address of mail.hmailserver.com into his Client Program.
Yes. You're right. That doesn't make sense. (Like a lot other things in this topic)

But the part "Attempting mail.hmailserver.com:25..." is definitely from the diagnostics and perfectly fine.

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-11-23 15:55

Virinum wrote:
2020-11-23 15:34
jim.bus wrote:

Yes. You're right. That doesn't make sense. (Like a lot other things in this topic)

But the part "Attempting mail.hmailserver.com:25..." is definitely from the diagnostics and perfectly fine.
This is how I ran my diagnostics:

about my c# program, yes, I need to provide 'host' which I used my IP (I used the external IP and it worked, so I kept it this way, now I changed to my IP as shown on whatsmyip.com)

I was confused about this and if you read the first commends you will see I am asking about this

now After configuring what jim.bus said in GoDaddy, can you clearfy what to IP to use on 'host' ? is it still my local IP ?

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-23 19:49

illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-23 15:55
Virinum wrote:
2020-11-23 15:34
jim.bus wrote:

This is how I ran my diagnostics:

about my c# program, yes, I need to provide 'host' which I used my IP (I used the external IP and it worked, so I kept it this way, now I changed to my IP as shown on whatsmyip.com)

I was confused about this and if you read the first commends you will see I am asking about this

now After configuring what jim.bus said in GoDaddy, can you clearfy what to IP to use on 'host' ? is it still my local IP ?
I am not familiar with this Diagnostics utility but the only Outbound host for port 25 for Diagnostics of your hMailServer installation should be the hostname you indicate in the MX Record in your DNS entry I instructed you to create. This would also be the hostname you used in your Settings>Protocols> SMTP>Delivery of Email>Local host name entry in hMailAdmin. It is essentially the hostname of your hMailServer Email Server.

Virinum
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Virinum » 2020-11-23 22:31

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-23 19:49
I am not familiar with this Diagnostics utility [...]
It’s hmailserver’s build in diagnostic tool. mail.hmailserver.com is set as default. It’s for testing outbound port 25.
F5379DD1-15EB-4A46-9C53-8FB205F23741.png

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-23 22:56

Virinum wrote:
2020-11-23 22:31
jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-23 19:49
I am not familiar with this Diagnostics utility [...]
It’s hmailserver’s build in diagnostic tool. mail.hmailserver.com is set as default. It’s for testing outbound port 25.

F5379DD1-15EB-4A46-9C53-8FB205F23741.png
Thanks, I remember seeing that tool now that you showed where it is located but never ever tried it before and I've been using hMailServer for around 9 years.

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-11-24 19:29

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-22 21:38
illidan5 wrote:

anyway I decided to purchase a domain from GoDaddy... and I did so.. I got 1 year of use for 1$

I will get you started but I can't tell you how to do all the things you want such as DKIM. I use it myself but it is more complicated to explain and as I don't do it often I don't want to try to give you a tutorial on it. what I will give you should get you to a point where Email Servers generally won't complain as I used this level of DNS setup for years without problems.

You need to add an A-Record which points to your External Public IP Address. I'm assuming you have a Local Network which is connected to a Router and your hMailServer is within your Local Network. You should be able to find your External Public IP Address (sometimes called the WAN IP Address) in your Router User Interface.

Type = A
Name = any prefix for your hostname (subdomain name) you want such as mail. This will generate a hostname of 'mail.domain.tld' where 'tld' is the Top Level Domain of the Domain you purchased such as .com

Type = MX
Host = @
Points to = 'hostname' you created in the A Record above. In my example this would be something like mail.domain.com
Priority = some number such as 10 as long as it is the lowest Priority number of any other MX Records you may have.

Type = TXT
Name = @
Value = v=spf1 a mx ptr mx:mail.domain.com ptr:mail.domain.com -all (The first set of 'a ptr' in the TXT string I don't think are really necessary but it is what was first generated by GoDaddy for me so I kept it.)

This is the DNS set up I used for years without any problems. You will gain more reputation by adding the DKIM TXT Record and DMARC Recoreds but as I said I can't get into a tutorial on how to add the DKIM and entering the 'Key' for your DKIM signing in GoDaddy TXT Records is compicated and even the GoDaddy Support people didn't know how to do it. I had to do it by trial and error. The problem is the Key depending on long it is has to be entered in pieces and concatenated together to get one long TXT Record.

With the above this should get you going with the minimum you need so that Email Servers will not reject Emails your Email Server sends.
Ok so I did this, in A record I put 'mail' in "Name" and in MX record I put mail.mydomain.tld , is this correct right?

now going to hmailserver, I created a domain with my godaddy domain, now I need to create a name, like 'name@mydomain.tld'
how do I use name in GoDaddy ? is it under nameserver ? or it is the 'mail' you told me to put into? (the prefix)
because I may want to change the name in the future, should not be a problem right ?

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-24 21:09

illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-24 19:29
jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-22 21:38
illidan5 wrote:

Type = A

Type = MX
Host = @

Type = TXT
Name = @

Ok so I did this, in A record I put 'mail' in "Name" and in MX record I put mail.mydomain.tld , is this correct right?

now going to hmailserver, I created a domain with my godaddy domain, now I need to create a name, like 'name@mydomain.tld'
how do I use name in GoDaddy ? is it under nameserver ? or it is the 'mail' you told me to put into? (the prefix)
because I may want to change the name in the future, should not be a problem right ?
You are now getting to where you are asking us to teach you how the Internet and Email works. You are lacking an understanding of the basic concepts and terminology as well. For instance, you do not create a Domain in hMailServer. You list the Domains hMailServer will be sending/receiving email with. In hMailServer Accounts you specify the Email Accounts that are assigned to the Domains that hMailServer uses. This part of hMailServer is what establishes the Email Addresses and this does not occur in DNS. In my opinion, you do not need to be an expert in how the Internet and Email work but you do need to know some of the basic concepts and definitions of the terms and where elements such as Domains are created (at Domain Registrars). Have you addressed how you would handle the situation when your hMailServer installation is down for other than a short period of time. If hMailServer for some reason is down for an extended period of time what happens to email that is sent to it from other Email Servers? You should be aware of what happens in this situation. Short answer the other email servers respond back to the sending Email Account that hMailServer could not be reached or found.

Have you read the hMailServer.Com website Documentation which discusses these topics and tells you in many cases what should be set up and where in hMailServer? It also explains in broad terms some of what is needed to be in DNS. The Documentation explains how you set up Email Accounts in hMailServer, etc.

You really should read the Help Documentation in hMailServer.Com as it tells you the answer to the question you just posed now. GoDaddy can also probably help you somewhat in explaining how to make DNS Entries. They most likely won't explain Email to you but they have a number of Tutorial Links on how to set up such things like DNS. One other thing I thought of is do you understand the concept of what a Static IP Address is and what a Dynamic IP Address is. For instance, if you are using a Dynamic IP Address, you probably don't want to create that A Record you just created. If you don't you will need to know because if you are using a Dynamic IP Address for your Local Network and you haven't allowed for this with DNS you will find suddenly your hMailServer will be unreachable by other Email Servers. Email Servers need to be assigned to IP Addresses that other Email Servers can always find and Dynamic IP Addresses can change at any given time. Technically Email Servers should use Static IP Addresses but there are ways to allow for using a Dynamic IP Address. You need to research all these things before you can really run an Email Server.

You can also Google a lot of this information such as the format for an SPF TXT DNS Record. If you don't learn these concepts the moment something doesn't work the way you expect it to or you need to do something different, you probably won't have a clue as to how to address the situation. So I would suggest you start by reading the hMailServer Help Documentaion on the hMailServer Website.

When I first set up my Email Server I didn't know all the intricacies of Email Servers but I had a notion as to what the terms meant and where Domains came from and I looked at how GoDaddy set up my DNS to use their Email Server and patterned a lot of what I did from examples of set ups that were working for, in this case, GoDaddy's Email Servers.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-25 06:07

Additional comment to my prior Posting:

Even though there are ways to use Dynamic IP Addresses for your hMailServer, ISPs are tending to add all their Dynamic IP Addresses to Blacklist Data Bases which means Receiving Email Servers might check these Blacklist Data Bases and block your email that you send making it pretty much a necessity to use a Static IP Address these days.

Virinum
Normal user
Normal user

Post by Virinum » 2020-11-25 09:34

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-25 06:07
Even though there are ways to use Dynamic IP Addresses for your hMailServer, ISPs are tending to add all their Dynamic IP Addresses to Blacklist Data Bases which means Receiving Email Servers might check these Blacklist Data Bases and block your email that you send making it pretty much a necessity to use a Static IP Address these days.
You're absolutely right. But illidan5 doesn't want to understand this. I think we already provided all needed information. The rest is possible with a little bit of research and following the hMailServer documentation.
illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-16 23:13

here it says my mail is blacklisted (one of the tests) the thing is, I havent done this test before so I cant compare (My mails did not end up in spam folder in the begining, now after sending quite alot of mails , it does.).
And again my question: What's the purpose of your C# program? Why do you only want to send and not receive mails? Everything indicates that you are a spammer.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-25 10:07

Virinum wrote:
2020-11-25 09:34
jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-25 06:07
You're absolutely right. But illidan5 doesn't want to understand this. I think we already provided all needed information. The rest is possible with a little bit of research and following the hMailServer documentation.
illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-16 23:13

here it says my mail is blacklisted (one of the tests) the thing is, I havent done this test before so I cant compare (My mails did not end up in spam folder in the begining, now after sending quite alot of mails , it does.).
And again my question: What's the purpose of your C# program? Why do you only want to send and not receive mails? Everything indicates that you are a spammer.
Virinum:

And illidan5 doesn't understand that while it is possible to send to public Domain Email Addresses without needing to allow for receiving email, practicality dictates that you must set up for Receiving Email from the Public Internet because you have to allow a way for External Email Servers to look up SPF and PTR information, allow for External Recipients to contact your Abuse or Postmaster email Ids (which I'm sure illidan5 hasn't even set up in his hMailServer), allow for Mailer-Daemon emails to be sent back to his hMailServer, etc. I'm not really familiar with how Bots operate exactly but I would suspect a C# Program would be at least one way to implement a Bot and what are Bots notorious for being able to be used for. The only thing is illidan5 doesn't seem to have the knowledge/expertise of how to be able to do it. I certainly don't and I at least seem to have no trouble operating an Email Server with very little problems getting my email accepted by other Email Servers. Most of the people on this Forum know way more than I do about Email Servers, and can do more with hMailServer than I can. I know absolutely nothing about Scripting for instance. I was a rank novice when I started using hMailServer but I had my hMailServer installation configured and running in about 5 days if I remember correctly.

I've suggested multiple times to illidan5 that he refer to the Help Documentation but from his questions and his responses, I don't get the sense that he has done so. He should really look at the Help Documentation because it can help in some instances to understand how to set up hMailServer. It became quickly clear illidan5 thought hMailServer could actually create a Domain which clearly indicated he didn't understand what the Add Domain function in hMailAdmin actually did because he kept claiming because he had a 'Local' Domain he didn't need a purchased Domain but yet he was trying to send to the Public Internet. illidan5 could only do what he was attempting with his 'Local' Domain only if he sent to Email Addresses hosted on his hMailServer itself.

illidan5 probably also doesn't realize that even if he gets his hMailServer configured with all the SPF, PTR, DKIM, and DMARC information his email can still get marked as SPAM because of possible content or other types of behaviors.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-11-25 14:12

Virinum wrote:
2020-11-25 09:34
Nah... spammers understand how to send email. :lol:

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-11-26 02:02

well right now I added MX, A, DKIM, SPF and EMARC records, waited 24 hours and tested it with mxtoolbox.com

DNS look up is good, also MX record seems good, SPF records also seem good execpt for

test : SPF Void Lookups result: Void lookup limit of 2 exceeded (3)

DKIM and EMARC records are not found... so trying to fix this - every change I make now I gotta wait 24 hours ?

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-26 03:00

I don't know if your geographical location is any factor but my changes to my GoDaddy DNS take effect almost immediately. But GoDaddy is located in US and I'm located in US. I heard that Updating DNS has improved from a long time ago and the 24 hr recommendation for waiting was recommended a long time ago.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-11-26 13:34

illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-26 02:02
well right now I added MX, A, DKIM, SPF and EMARC records, waited 24 hours and tested it with mxtoolbox.com

DNS look up is good, also MX record seems good, SPF records also seem good execpt for

DKIM and EMARC records are not found... so trying to fix this - every change I make now I gotta wait 24 hours ?
Void lookup limit of 2 exceeded (3):
https://www.google.com/search?q=SPF+Voi ... e&ie=UTF-8
without seing your actual spf record, the answer is you have to scroll adn read through answers on google
but the error indicates that something in your spf record is not name resolved properly

if no DKIM, DMARC records are found.. you havent set them up properly in DNS
___________________________________________________________end of the line

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-11-26 14:56

johang wrote:
2020-11-26 13:34
illidan5 wrote:

without seing your actual spf record, the answer is you have to scroll adn read through answers on google
but the error indicates that something in your spf record is not name resolved properly

All given records has 'includes' in them and that was the problem, mine doesnt has...
I did it like jim.bus said:

Type = TXT
Name = @
TTL = 1 hour should be fin
still trying to find out what I did wrong with the DKIM and EMARC

here they are if someoene spot a problem:

DKIM:

host: dkim._domainkey.mydomain.tld ---- value: v=DKIM1; t=s; k=rsa; p=*my public key*

DMARC:

host: _dmarc.mydomain.tld ----- value: v=DMARC1; p=none;

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-11-26 16:47

illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-26 14:56
johang wrote:
illidan5 wrote:

All given records has 'includes' in them and that was the problem, mine doesnt has...

Type = TXT
Name = @

DKIM:

host: dkim._domainkey.mydomain.tld ---- value: v=DKIM1; t=s; k=rsa; p=*my public key*

DMARC:

well since you propabally have not registered the ptr with your ISP, the ptr wouldnt resolve..... and you have 2 ptr pointers in the above spf record... that will not resolve then... leaving you with perhaps 2 errors ..
( take away "ptr" and "ptr:mail.domain.com" from your spf record)

my dkim is:
dkim._domainkey.mydomain.tld. IN TXT "v=DKIM1\; p=*my public key*"

my dmarc is:
_dmarc.mydomain.tld. IN TXT "v=DMARC1\; p=none\; rua=mailto:postmaster@mydomain.tld"

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-11-26 20:37

johang wrote:
2020-11-26 16:47
illidan5 wrote:
johang wrote:

Type = TXT
Name = @

DKIM:

DMARC:

well since you propabally have not registered the ptr with your ISP, the ptr wouldnt resolve..... and you have 2 ptr pointers in the above spf record... that will not resolve then... leaving you with perhaps 2 errors ..

my dkim is:

my dmarc is:
_dmarc.mydomain.tld. IN TXT "v=DMARC1\; p=none\; rua=mailto:postmaster@mydomain.tld"
My dmarc was the same as yours but I changed it following godaddy docs... I guess I will change it back and rmove the ptr and see whats happens

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-26 21:37

johang wrote:
illidan5 wrote:
johang wrote:

Type = TXT
Name = @

DKIM:

DMARC:

my dkim is:

my dmarc is:
The TXT Record I gave illidan5 is as was created originally by GoDaddy's wizard but modified for the Domains I now use. As I indicated to illidan5 I believe the first mx and ptr are not necessary but that was what was created by GoDaddy and they do work. I do not run a Diagnostics with mine. My SPF Records resolve to SPF=Passed when I send a test email to my GMail Email Address. And I never see PTR failures reported back to my Email Server. I do not have any known issues with the SPF TXT Records I use and they are the same as I gave illidan5 with the exception I have more hostnames specified in mine. I believe he will need the ptr:mail.domain.com or he will get ptr failures.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-11-27 02:39

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-26 21:37
johang wrote:
illidan5 wrote:

DKIM:

DMARC:

my dkim is:

my dmarc is:
The TXT Record I gave illidan5 is as was created originally by GoDaddy's wizard but modified for the Domains I now use. As I indicated to illidan5 I believe the first mx and ptr are not necessary but that was what was created by GoDaddy and they do work. I do not run a Diagnostics with mine. My SPF Records resolve to SPF=Passed when I send a test email to my GMail Email Address. And I never see PTR failures reported back to my Email Server. I do not have any known issues with the SPF TXT Records I use and they are the same as I gave illidan5 with the exception I have more hostnames specified in mine. I believe he will need the ptr:mail.domain.com or he will get ptr failures.
i only tried to give some advice based on the error indicated by mxtoolbox, if you are ok with those errors im not the one to try to convert you
i merely advice not to put in "ptr" or "ptr:mail.mydomain.tld" into the spf record if you dont have a working ptr in your ISPs DNS ( i highly doubt illidan5 have gotten that to work )

you can always read others views about it ..https://dmarcian.com/ptr-mechanisms-in- ... ress%201.2.
and why not read ietf:s view as well https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7208#section-5.5
they are WAY harsher than me..

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-11-29 13:19

I have tried to change DKIM1; to DKIM and also the name to DKIM._key instead of dkim._key

I have followed multiple guides including the one published in this forum, all indicates I have done the correct steps but still says DKIM not published

using mailtester:
DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) is a method for associating a domain name to an email message, thereby allowing a person, role, or organization to claim some responsibility for the message.
The DKIM signature of your message is:

v=1;
a=rsa-sha256;
d=domain.tld;
s=dkim;
c=relaxed/relaxed;
q=dns/txt;
h=From:Subject:Date:Message-ID:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;
bh=LXW8vyKmzWBDsvJFvCr4c1LVtkCdbSjGVoLXg2XmPc8=;
b=Gr/7YUec593SLATlIj5XTuY9TZSTfhAuKoi3SAyijANP27N5DvMbktKhMZeu5wf8P12A0czxwUp7IefRySklIXP7VuO1qZiDW1s9Z1lUhpxts7Te0JOZ2iGWXVavSJBnFCOGb9mH4fAZZcvImrF95Z2CaikuY4He2LgyUD0lH9E=
We were not able to retrieve your public key.
Please ensure that you inserted your DKIM TXT DNS record on your domain domain.tld using the selector dkim.
If you recently modified your DNS, please be patient and test again your Newsletter in 12 hours, it may take some time for the DNS to be propagate

dont know what else to do, also, I got this
Message only has text/html MIME parts
You should also include a text version of your message (text/plain)
whats the meaning of include a text version ?

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-11-29 19:35

illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-29 13:19
I have tried to change DKIM1; to DKIM and also the name to DKIM._key instead of dkim._key

I have followed multiple guides including the one published in this forum, all indicates I have done the correct steps but still says DKIM not published
You should not try to change DKIM1 to DKIM the meaning of "v=DKIM1" is that it is version 1 of DKIM
it does not matter if you use DKIM.xxxxxxxxxx or dkim.xxxxxxxx
what will matter is if you are not writing in the form of ... dkim._domainkey.mydomain.tld. ( in your text you are refering to dkim._key which then makes me wonder ... because it is wrong.. )
dkim._domainkey is not the same as dkim._key
using mailtester:
DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) is a method for associating a domain name to an email message, thereby allowing a person, role, or organization to claim some responsibility for the message.

v=1;
a=rsa-sha256;
d=domain.tld;
s=dkim;
c=relaxed/relaxed;
q=dns/txt;
h=From:Subject:Date:Message-ID:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding;
b=Gr/7YUec593SLATlIj5XTuY9TZSTfhAuKoi3SAyijANP27N5DvMbktKhMZeu5wf8P12A0czxwUp7IefRySklIXP7VuO1qZiDW1s9Z1lUhpxts7Te0JOZ2iGWXVavSJBnFCOGb9mH4fAZZcvImrF95Z2CaikuY4He2LgyUD0lH9E=
Please ensure that you inserted your DKIM TXT DNS record on your domain domain.tld using the selector dkim.
If you recently modified your DNS, please be patient and test again your Newsletter in 12 hours, it may take some time for the DNS to be propagate

the difference of html versus plain text
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... IDQ&uact=5
they are saying your mail only includes a html verison and they would like a text version as well

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-11-29 21:06

johang wrote:
2020-11-29 19:35
illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-29 13:19

You should not try to change DKIM1 to DKIM the meaning of "v=DKIM1" is that it is version 1 of DKIM
it does not matter if you use DKIM.xxxxxxxxxx or dkim.xxxxxxxx
what will matter is if you are not writing in the form of ... dkim._domainkey.mydomain.tld. ( in your text you are refering to dkim._key which then makes me wonder ... because it is wrong.. )
dkim._domainkey is not the same as dkim._key
using mailtester:

v=1;
a=rsa-sha256;
d=domain.tld;
s=dkim;
c=relaxed/relaxed;
q=dns/txt;

the difference of html versus plain text
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... IDQ&uact=5
they are saying your mail only includes a html verison and they would like a text version as well
dkim._domainkey.domain.tld

v=DKIM1; t=s; k=rsa; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQCWKlelegE4SwM1ezb7LnvNeLMBChAhV2sDIEJWQk0acjFoS83Tgwf8Z3Y+tXbZHymJPcuwn5AC0St+8IS8/w2vOARbwBrOLpV3kx8W7P41Bm8mulggfIPvY8CiNs30Oy3aFctc64/Uqg/msKn76wa7fVNSUhLhchMitWO06LGXfQIDAQAB
thats my DKIM.. dont know whats wrong

and yes my email is HTML based.. so there is nothing I can do ?, lets say I can create text mail, but how can I give the condition that if it cant be displayed than show the text mail

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-29 22:28

This is just a guess on my part but in earlier posts I warned you that it is difficult to enter the key on a GoDaddy TXT Record. I don't know what size key you are using or if I was able to get 1024 bit key entered or not. But I found that I couldn't enter my Key as one string on the one TXT Record. I had to break up the key into smaller parts and concatenate them all together. I can't quite remember how I managed to do it but and would have to experiment a little again to enter one. Even GoDaddy support didn't know how to do it. I had to by trial and error find the method. You should probably be only using a 1024 bit Key to have your best luck in entering the Key on the TXT Record. If my guess is correct this is probably why your Public Key cannot be found.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-11-30 14:34

illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-29 21:06

v=DKIM1; t=s; k=rsa; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQCWKlelegE4SwM1ezb7LnvNeLMBChAhV2sDIEJWQk0acjFoS83Tgwf8Z3Y+tXbZHymJPcuwn5AC0St+8IS8/w2vOARbwBrOLpV3kx8W7P41Bm8mulggfIPvY8CiNs30Oy3aFctc64/Uqg/msKn76wa7fVNSUhLhchMitWO06LGXfQIDAQAB

and yes my email is HTML based.. so there is nothing I can do ?, lets say I can create text mail, but how can I give the condition that if it cant be displayed than show the text mail
you should test format below ( take notice of the \ )
dkim._domainkey.domain.tld IN TXT "v=DKIM1\; k=rsa\; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQC3QEKyU1fSma0axspqYK5iAj+54lsAg4qRRCnpKK68hawSd8zpsDz77ntGCR0X2mHVvkf0WEOIqaspaG/A5IGxieiWer+wBX8lW2tE4NHTE0PLhHqL0uD2sif2pKoPR3Wr6n/rbiihGYCIzvuY4/U5GigNUGls/QUbCPRyzho30wIDAQAB"

noticed "your key" https://support.dnsimple.com/articles/dkim-record/ .. also noticed that their example uses -> \

Multi-Part MIME email
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... 30&bih=899

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-11-30 16:34

johang wrote:
2020-11-30 14:34
illidan5 wrote:

dkim._domainkey.domain.tld IN TXT "v=DKIM1\; k=rsa\; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQC3QEKyU1fSma0axspqYK5iAj+54lsAg4qRRCnpKK68hawSd8zpsDz77ntGCR0X2mHVvkf0WEOIqaspaG/A5IGxieiWer+wBX8lW2tE4NHTE0PLhHqL0uD2sif2pKoPR3Wr6n/rbiihGYCIzvuY4/U5GigNUGls/QUbCPRyzho30wIDAQAB"

noticed "your key" https://support.dnsimple.com/articles/dkim-record/ .. also noticed that their example uses -> \

Multi-Part MIME email
in the dnssmple link you gave me :
If your provider gave you the DKIM record and it included double quotes around the record, or backslashes before semi-colons in the record, you may safely remove them. The quotes are handled automatically by our name servers, and the semi-colons will automatically be escaped if necessary.
also godaddy will not even accept quotes when copy-pasting entire txt value... and I didnt include backslashes as they mentioned. but i will try to add them now and see if it works
-ok I managed to add quotes we will see if it solves the problem

my Dkim value looks like this now:

Code: Select all

"v=DKIM1\; k=rsa\; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQCH37bI6mr7c69OdGh78i9JvvH3B7YdRJBYnUGeDF/ndrnfXogTPr5gDKEH6hsCLwHc8TcKmfR9wYtKKyUAnl0CeIKfuIP+ccdEW5BQsMZS+EqbpTwL5kjmaWhXep4lDZw8RNrkOvM5g9prfZ8c15LVrHMaScaWfwPLMrmYgw6cwQIDAQAB"
by the way i generated new pupblic key from sparkpost and used it
Last edited by illidan5 on 2020-11-30 16:48, edited 1 time in total.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-11-30 16:56

illidan5 wrote:
2020-11-30 16:34
johang wrote:
2020-11-30 14:34
illidan5 wrote:

Multi-Part MIME email
in the dnssmple link you gave me :
If your provider gave you the DKIM record and it included double quotes around the record, or backslashes before semi-colons in the record, you may safely remove them. The quotes are handled automatically by our name servers, and the semi-colons will automatically be escaped if necessary.
also godaddy will not even accept quotes when copy-pasting entire txt value... and I didnt include backslashes as they mentioned. but i will try to add them now and see if it works
-ok I managed to add quotes we will see if it solves the problem

my Dkim value looks like this now:

"v=DKIM1\; k=rsa\; p=MIGfMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAQUAA4GNADCBiQKBgQCH37bI6mr7c69OdGh78i9JvvH3B7YdRJBYnUGeDF/ndrnfXogTPr5gDKEH6hsCLwHc8TcKmfR9wYtKKyUAnl0CeIKfuIP+ccdEW5BQsMZS+EqbpTwL5kjmaWhXep4lDZw8RNrkOvM5g9prfZ8c15LVrHMaScaWfwPLMrmYgw6cwQIDAQAB"
by the way i generated new pupblic key from sparkpost and used it
just email godaddys support and tell them to sort it out for you, and tell us what was wrong
the 1 hour TTL tells us that you have to wait 1 hour before a new record is valid in your dns ( or in this case Godaddys )

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-30 20:36

johang wrote:
2020-11-30 16:56

the 1 hour TTL tells us that you have to wait 1 hour before a new record is valid in your dns ( or in this case Godaddys )
I have found any GoDaddy DNS entries I have made essentially took effect immediately. I have never had to wait any period of time for them to be effective and I had TTL 1 Hour as well. That being said that doesn't mean there might be times when you have to wait longer but I've never had to.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-01 00:37

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-30 20:36
johang wrote:
2020-11-30 16:56

I have found any GoDaddy DNS entries I have made essentially took effect immediately. I have never had to wait any period of time for them to be effective and I had TTL 1 Hour as well. That being said that doesn't mean there might be times when you have to wait longer but I've never had to.
You are right
most resolvers cache the query regarding a hostname or record for the period of time listed in the pointer or zone, but then again i know some resolvers update the cache while getting a new request.
it is not the DNS that you have to wait for the TTL to expire in.. its the queries cached in a resolver that you have to wait for the TTL to expire out of

i was in error referring to godaddys dns, i should have stated that depending on if a online test site uses a resolver or do a direct querie to authoritative dns you could get different results

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-01 16:45

ok puting the quotes and blackslash wont work either
i will contact godaddy support

also for the plain text email, I searched and there is very little information about this in the internet, I will have to modify the c# code and I need to see if it is even worth the time and effort

ok the godaddy support guy is clueles...

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-01 18:20

illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-01 16:45
the quotes are only in my example to show what is the TXT element in the DNSrecord
it is the baklash i wanted you to use
also for the plain text email, I searched and there is very little information about this in the internet, I will have to modify the c# code and I need to see if it is even worth the time and effort
when i search for "multipart email" on google i get about 24 600 000 results.. i am not sure that is very little information
he could not help you to verify that you had written the record to satisfaction ?

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-01 20:51

johang wrote:
2020-12-01 18:20
illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-01 16:45
the quotes are only in my example to show what is the TXT element in the DNSrecord
it is the baklash i wanted you to use
when i search for "multipart email" on google i get about 24 600 000 results.. i am not sure that is very little information
he could not help you to verify that you had written the record to satisfaction ?
no I doubt he had a clue what to do, I gave him the record and the host and all, and then he said "ok i will add it" , and then he said "oh it is already there" ofcourse it is, i added it, I didnt contact you to copy paste for me...
But he did say that DNS records needs 24-48h untill changes take place, really 48h ? I have been waiting atleast a day after each change , I had tried blackslashes, it didnt work either, so I tried with quotes to see if could help

I came across this:

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Manag ... d-p/155168

not sure what he ment about the ":" but I dont see this it on my public key

I will try godaddy community or another support guy...

by the way 24 mill results doesnt means much when you need to add / modify code.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-12-01 21:32

Did you not read what I told you about GoDaddy and their ability to help with the DKIM TXT Records and about how long changes take to reflect in DNS?

When I was setting up my TXT DKIM Records, GoDaddy did not have a clue as to how to input the Public Key because the Public Key that I was using was too long to be inputted as one string of characters in the TXT Record. You have to what I call concatenating the Public Key string of characters. A small piece at a time. I don't know if your Public Key is too long or not but if it is then you will have to concatenate the Public String Key in. I can't tell you how to do that because that was some time ago and I would have to try to look up how I did it then but GoDaddy didn't know how to do it and it was their Zone File Editor.

And as I stated my GoDaddy changes to DNS seem to take effect immediately. Everybody always gives the Disclaimer about how long it takes to update DNS because that is how it used to be and could still happen even now. My suggestion is just check to see if your update has taken effect. My understanding of why it took so long is it takes time to roll out the changes to all the DNS Servers in the Internet.

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-01 22:50

jim.bus wrote:
2020-12-01 21:32
Did you not read what I told you about GoDaddy and their ability to help with the DKIM TXT Records and about how long changes take to reflect in DNS?

When I was setting up my TXT DKIM Records, GoDaddy did not have a clue as to how to input the Public Key because the Public Key that I was using was too long to be inputted as one string of characters in the TXT Record. You have to what I call concatenating the Public Key string of characters. A small piece at a time. I don't know if your Public Key is too long or not but if it is then you will have to concatenate the Public String Key in. I can't tell you how to do that because that was some time ago and I would have to try to look up how I did it then but GoDaddy didn't know how to do it and it was their Zone File Editor.

And as I stated my GoDaddy changes to DNS seem to take effect immediately. Everybody always gives the Disclaimer about how long it takes to update DNS because that is how it used to be and could still happen even now. My suggestion is just check to see if your update has taken effect. My understanding of why it took so long is it takes time to roll out the changes to all the DNS Servers in the Internet.
Im trying to understand what are you saying

here is the public key, after the p=:
this is how I input it in the TXT (1024 bit) , just copy paste, and save, whats the problem ?

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-12-01 23:22

I am merely saying that if your Public Key is too long/large you may not be able to input it all in GoDaddy in one entry. You might have to concatenate it in. If your Public Key is only 1024 bit long then it may go in all in one entry. In your case it looks like you probably did manage to get it all in in one entry but to be sure you should look at the Public Key you generated and make sure that all of it was entered on the TXT Record you displayed.

I use a 2048 bit Public Key and I had to (as I say it) concatenate the Public Key while inputting the TXT Record. The GoDaddy support people I asked on how to get the Public Key in didn't have a clue as to how to do it. I had to get it done through Trial And Error until it worked. It can be done. It just takes more effort.

Also, I didn't use the '\' that you inserted in your TXT String. I just separated the string with semicolons (;). Perhaps that is your problem. You might try eliminating the backslashes.

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-02 12:32

jim.bus wrote:
2020-12-01 23:22
I am merely saying that if your Public Key is too long/large you may not be able to input it all in GoDaddy in one entry. You might have to concatenate it in. If your Public Key is only 1024 bit long then it may go in all in one entry. In your case it looks like you probably did manage to get it all in in one entry but to be sure you should look at the Public Key you generated and make sure that all of it was entered on the TXT Record you displayed.

I use a 2048 bit Public Key and I had to (as I say it) concatenate the Public Key while inputting the TXT Record. The GoDaddy support people I asked on how to get the Public Key in didn't have a clue as to how to do it. I had to get it done through Trial And Error until it worked. It can be done. It just takes more effort.

Also, I didn't use the '\' that you inserted in your TXT String. I just separated the string with semicolons (;). Perhaps that is your problem. You might try eliminating the backslashes.
I tried with the backslashes and without, nothing works, dont know what to do seriously.. so annoying, maybe I should really wait 48 hours ? is there a way to know if a change took place? because all I get is the same message that records are not published... I will try posting in godaddy community, thanks for the help

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-02 12:36

illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-01 22:50

perhaps you could take a printscreen of what you have configured so far in godaddys portal and post it here ? ( of course if you dont want things to show you mask them out)
you could via PM send what domain you actually use to jim.bus and he could do some tests ?

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-02 12:50

illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-01 20:51
by the way 24 mill results doesnt means much when you need to add / modify code.
let me google it for you:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... CA0&uact=5
i pick first answer:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/548 ... sages-in-c
looks like the truth is out there ( of course it might not be your exact copy and paste truth .. but perhaps it is.. or any of the other google answers )

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-02 14:15

johang wrote:
2020-12-02 12:36
illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-01 22:50

perhaps you could take a printscreen of what you have configured so far in godaddys portal and post it here ? ( of course if you dont want things to show you mask them out)
you could via PM send what domain you actually use to jim.bus and he could do some tests ?
DKIM setup is a known issue on godaddy, and godaddy lack of support about it is also a known issue, look here;

https://www.godaddy.com/community/Manag ... 230#M15621

thing is, there are 2 different solution for this, so go figure, I removed the '_' and typed the ns-lookup commend, it returns non-exists domain

nslookup -type=TXT dkim.domainkey.yourdomain.tld ns20.domaincontrol.com
the annoying thing is I have to wait for I dont know how long for changes to take place, I cant know for certain that it is immediate like some of you say

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-02 14:26

Thank god I finally made it

removing the backslash and removing the domain name worked, so "selector._domainkey" and removing backslashes after ';' worked
the effects took place immediatly

I was able to solve it using this tool

https://www.dmarcanalyzer.com/dkim/dkim-check/

hinting me that something is wrong with my dkim version, so I tought DKIM1 is the right version, it must be the backslash, removing it solved it

now lets see if I can get the plain text thing to work

-----

all tools appear to find my DKIM record and validate it (tested with 3 tools) but https://www.mail-tester.com/
still says my DKIM is invalid, do I need to wait or I am missing something? I did update the PEM file on hmailserver

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-02 19:44

illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-02 14:26
removing the backslash and removing the domain name worked, so "selector._domainkey" and removing backslashes after ';' worked
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
well if you configured the dns with: selector._domainkey.domain.tld.domain.tld that was your problem.. not anything else
and if you had backslashes after ";" you goofed because there is no example showing that

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-02 23:27

johang wrote:
2020-12-02 19:44
illidan5 wrote:
well if you configured the dns with: selector._domainkey.domain.tld.domain.tld that was your problem.. not anything else
and if you had backslashes after ";" you goofed because there is no example showing that
did you read my posts? my host name was selector._domainkey.domain.tld and I showed it here multiple time
putting the backslash was just an option I try, originaly it was without it, so I removed it again

He had to guess it

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-12-03 00:00

This is a tutorial provided by one of the regular contributors on this Forum. It is the guide for what I used for my DKIM setup except I used a 2048 bit Key and had to determine how to enter that key on GoDaddy Zone Editor.

If you follow the steps carefully, you should be able to set up your DKIM TXT Record using this tutorial.

https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29402

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-03 00:56

illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-02 23:27
johang wrote:
illidan5 wrote:
did you read my posts? my host name was selector._domainkey.domain.tld and I showed it here multiple time
putting the backslash was just an option I try, originaly it was without it, so I removed it again

He had to guess it
i dont use godaddy so i cant test.. but...
when you added the spf record .. did you also write spf.domain.tld ? and it worked ??

well now you know .. you add host or record names such as spf, dmarc and dkim._domainkey in the zone file of domain.tld you dont add the domain.tld part in the "name" or "host" field

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-03 02:29

johang wrote:
2020-12-03 00:56
illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-02 23:27
johang wrote:

He had to guess it
i dont use godaddy so i cant test.. but...
when you added the spf record .. did you also write spf.domain.tld ? and it worked ??

well now you know .. you add host or record names such as spf, dmarc and dkim._domainkey in the zone file of domain.tld you dont add the domain.tld part in the "name" or "host" field
now YOU know how do to it
I have done great service to this boards despite some smartasses, basiclly once I bought the domain it was over, it was a matter of copy paste, next time folks like mattg, jim.bus and others should think twice before trying to play smart on someone who, well, started the topic with him running a custom coded client, so I think I know a thing or two, and believe me I have done much more complicated things

thanks for remainding me about DMRAC , fixed, i still need to see if changes took place on mailtester.com

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-12-03 05:11

illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-03 02:29
... next time folks like mattg, jim.bus and others should think twice before trying to play smart on someone who, well, started the topic with him running a custom coded client, so I think I know a thing or two, and believe me I have done much more complicated things
I still don't think you have the required knowledge and skills to run a mailserver

You are really lucky that I didn't ban you and block you

I still think that if you just want to send and don't care about receiving or handling rejections that you are A SPAMMER
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-12-03 06:12

illidan5 wrote:

I have done great service to this boards despite some smartasses, basiclly once I bought the domain it was over, it was a matter of copy paste, next time folks like mattg, jim.bus and others should think twice before trying to play smart on someone who, well, started the topic with him running a custom coded client, so I think I know a thing or two, and believe me I have done much more complicated things
You should think multiple times about how many times not only I but others have told you to read the hMailServer Help Documentation.

You should think multiple times about how many times you were told you should Google the information.

You should think multiple times about how many times not only I but others have told you to get a Domain but you insisted you had a 'Local' Doamain. You couldn't realize that entering a Domain in hMailServer does not create a Public Domain which was necessary. You still wanted to bitch about why should you have to pay for a Domain when you wanted to do it yourself. You were refusing our advice.

You did not understand there wasn't any 'Local' Domain.

I believe it also turned out a lot of your problems were you were trying to run your C# program against mail.hmailserver.com which of course would fail to work if memory serves me correctly.

You lacked any skills or had very little skills in setting up your DNS.

Yet despite your claim that we were playing smart on someone who wrote a C# program as a client. Yet we continued to try to help you. And by the way, in my opinion, someone who is a rank novice with Email Servers (and i'm not an expert by any means), should have tried to get hMailServer running correctly should have considered using a Client Program such as Outlook or Thunderbird before attempting to use your C# Program because this probably complicated a novice with Email Servers in getting things operational. You were suffering from a lack of understanding the terminology. A lack of how SPF and DKIM worked. I think you were trying to make too many things work at one time. I was a rank amateur with Email Servers when I first started using hMailServer yet I got my installation working without my email being marked as SPAM in a matter of a 4 or 5 days with less problems than you were having and I understood about how Domains and MX Records were used. I used the help of people on this Forum some of whom are no longer appearing on the Forum. In most cases the problems I ran into I came up with the solution but with input from the people on this Forum, I was able to realize what the problem was and I solved my problems.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-03 09:27

illidan5 wrote:
ohh i thought i actually knew .. but much obliged then..
but you are right i never knew how you chose to put it into godaddys webinterface, that was why i asked you for a printscreen .....
thank you for your service then,
(start smart-ass-remark)
you could always ask Svetlin https://github.com/nakov to help you sort the coding of MIME HTML/text into Smart-Mass-Mailer,
(/end smart-ass-remark)
for me learning never ends, the problem here is that i feel like you actually aren interested to learn, you just want someone to give you "the solution" so you dont have to think or actually look for the solution yourself, while there is actually a lot of things that you have to be on top of and understand if you want to run a mailserver, dnssserver or become a registrar.
its good you know a thing or two, keep at it.. learn more... just perhaps be a bit humble on the way ? and the problem with copy and paste is that you didnt understand what actually happened so i am not sure what you learnt there..

thanks for remainding me about DMRAC , fixed, i still need to see if changes took place on mailtester.com

i can keep from feeling that i shouldnt have answered because it really made me a smart-ass

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-12-03 09:50

johang wrote:
2020-12-03 09:27
illidan5 wrote:
but you are right i never knew how you chose to put it into godaddys webinterface, that was why i asked you for a printscreen .....
(start smart-ass-remark)
you could always ask Svetlin https://github.com/nakov to help you sort the coding of MIME HTML/text into Smart-Mass-Mailer,
(/end smart-ass-remark)
for me learning never ends, the problem here is that i feel like you actually aren interested to learn, you just want someone to give you "the solution" so you dont have to think or actually look for the solution yourself, while there is actually a lot of things that you have to be on top of and understand if you want to run a mailserver, dnssserver or become a registrar.
its good you know a thing or two, keep at it.. learn more... just perhaps be a bit humble on the way ? and the problem with copy and paste is that you didnt understand what actually happened so i am not sure what you learnt there..

i can keep from feeling that i shouldnt have answered because it really made me a smart-ass
I think you can tell from my comments and some of my earlier responses to him that I'm very much in agreement with you.

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-03 13:58

I am happy you guys decided to trigger up and response only after I actaully solved my problems and I spared some time answering your "judgements" about me, which I maturely ignored untill now.

Lets first say that this community was responsive and indeed atleast willing to help compared to others, I will give you that, alltough lots of the helping came from telling me what to do and now HOW to do it, telling me to go read the entire documentation is not very helpfull sorry, but you were responsive I will give you that and I do appericate the help and effort put in here :)

mattg wrote:
2020-12-03 05:11
illidan5 wrote:
... next time folks like mattg, jim.bus and others should think twice before trying to play smart on someone who, well, started the topic with him running a custom coded client, so I think I know a thing or two, and believe me I have done much more complicated things
I still don't think you have the required knowledge and skills to run a mailserver

You are really lucky that I didn't ban you and block you

I still think that if you just want to send and don't care about receiving or handling rejections that you are A SPAMMER
Ok, mr.judge, so anyone who is not interesting in receiving emails and only sending is a spammer, so that includes, like, every company in the world almost? did you heard about newsletter? auto-responses?, "no-reply" ? and much more I dont need to give examples to an expert like you.
and also as a mod, you should not be accussing someone and threating them with bans with no evidence, I ignored you because I didnt want the topic to go that way (as you can see now)

jim.bus wrote:
2020-12-03 06:12
illidan5 wrote:

You should think multiple times about how many times not only I but others have told you to read the hMailServer Help Documentation.

You should think multiple times about how many times you were told you should Google the information.

You should think multiple times about how many times not only I but others have told you to get a Domain but you insisted you had a 'Local' Doamain. You couldn't realize that entering a Domain in hMailServer does not create a Public Domain which was necessary. You still wanted to bitch about why should you have to pay for a Domain when you wanted to do it yourself. You were refusing our advice.

You did not understand there wasn't any 'Local' Domain.

I believe it also turned out a lot of your problems were you were trying to run your C# program against mail.hmailserver.com which of course would fail to work if memory serves me correctly.

You lacked any skills or had very little skills in setting up your DNS.

Yet despite your claim that we were playing smart on someone who wrote a C# program as a client. Yet we continued to try to help you. And by the way, in my opinion, someone who is a rank novice with Email Servers (and i'm not an expert by any means), should have tried to get hMailServer running correctly should have considered using a Client Program such as Outlook or Thunderbird before attempting to use your C# Program because this probably complicated a novice with Email Servers in getting things operational. You were suffering from a lack of understanding the terminology. A lack of how SPF and DKIM worked. I think you were trying to make too many things work at one time. I was a rank amateur with Email Servers when I first started using hMailServer yet I got my installation working without my email being marked as SPAM in a matter of a 4 or 5 days with less problems than you were having and I understood about how Domains and MX Records were used. I used the help of people on this Forum some of whom are no longer appearing on the Forum. In most cases the problems I ran into I came up with the solution but with input from the people on this Forum, I was able to realize what the problem was and I solved my problems.

Well I was new to hmailserver and DNS in general, yes, and I do agree I should have red more and invstigating before asking all the questions, I didnt put the time to do it at the begining, but some of my questions was just about knowing WHY I have to buy a domain, but I decided to buy a domain and watch some tutorials and I succesfully setup almost everything (yes I had problems because of GoDaddy but as you can see I overcome it, and other who come across this topic will get the solution now.).

by the way, I said in one of my commends "created in hmailserver" I should have typed "listed" , I know I dont create a domain via hmailserver, you just sticked to that wrong choosing of words (alltough you can send emails with that "domain" , I have managed to do so.).

johang wrote:
2020-12-03 09:27
illidan5 wrote:
(start smart-ass-remark)
(/end smart-ass-remark)

Yes I got the code from github what do you think? doing something from scratch (something which is obviously have been already made) is very unsmart, and against the first rule of coding. (by the way, geting a project from github to run isnt straightforward.).
but if you are worried, I have created things from scratch before, I am not a coding expert or something, and not a genius, but I have done things :)
and dont worry, if I will want to edit the code I will be able to, actaully I already did, just saying that if the multiple mail thing will not work and will take too much time I will give in on that, people who cant view HTML arent worth my time anyway.

and at this points, I have a clue what DKIM and MX records means

jim.bus wrote:
2020-12-03 00:00
This is a tutorial provided by one of the regular contributors on this Forum. It is the guide for what I used for my DKIM setup except I used a 2048 bit Key and had to determine how to enter that key on GoDaddy Zone Editor.

If you follow the steps carefully, you should be able to set up your DKIM TXT Record using this tutorial.

dude this is wrong, how many times I am to repeat my self

dkim._domainkey.YOURDOMAIN.COM. - bad

dkim._domainkey - good

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-12-03 14:17

This thread slid off the rails near the top of the first page. :roll:

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-03 14:50

illidan5 wrote:
2020-12-03 13:58
Yes I got the code from github what do you think?
since you asked about howto incorporate code and the complexity of it and that you stated there were no good answers provided i thought you might want to ask the author to fix it for you, i dont believe he is a bad guy if you ask properly.
just saying that if the multiple mail thing will not work and will take too much time I will give in on that, people who cant view HTML arent worth my time anyway.
but now you have learnt an email should include both text and HTML to be regarded as "following the standard" .. it is not the people who cant view it you should worry about but rather the spam functionality checks that are done on the email sent on your behalf.

dkim._domainkey - good
for me the howto is pretty clear, but then again im familiar with BIND https://www.isc.org/bind/ ( which is reffered to in the post; i could whine about an ending "." but thats it)
however it is not a manual on howto copy/paste into any and all possible DNS services provided on the internet, all services are not exactly the same (which i believe you have noticed)

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-12-03 15:53

palinka wrote:
2020-12-03 14:17
This thread slid off the rails near the top of the first page. :roll:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... CA0&uact=5
About 4 140 000 results :mrgreen:

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-12-03 16:54

illidan5 wrote:
mattg wrote:
Ok, mr.judge, so anyone who is not interesting in receiving emails and only sending is a spammer, so that includes, like, every company in the world almost? did you heard about newsletter? auto-responses?, "no-reply" ? and much more I dont need to give examples to an expert like you.
In a word YES

In most parts of the world, Newsletters must be double opt-in (explicitly) AND have the ability for recipients to opt out at any time.
You get caught sending SPAM in Australia, you can get goal(JAIL) time plus large fines.

I'm not sure what happens in Israel, but I can check if you like.

Auto-responses are first and foremost RESPONSES
no-reply email addresses still handle bounces and rejections, and MAY have to abide by SPAM legislation.

In reality, no matter what DKIM you set, or what domain you use, if you send spam, you will be treated like a spammer by the internet.
Many servers check that an address is a valid address to receive, before they will accept mail from that address.

Your ignorance and lack of knowledge stands out
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

illidan5
Normal user
Normal user

Post by illidan5 » 2020-12-03 19:18

mattg wrote:
2020-12-03 16:54
illidan5 wrote:
mattg wrote:
In a word YES

In most parts of the world, Newsletters must be double opt-in (explicitly) AND have the ability for recipients to opt out at any time.
You get caught sending SPAM in Australia, you can get goal(JAIL) time plus large fines.

I'm not sure what happens in Israel, but I can check if you like.

Auto-responses are first and foremost RESPONSES
no-reply email addresses still handle bounces and rejections, and MAY have to abide by SPAM legislation.

In reality, no matter what DKIM you set, or what domain you use, if you send spam, you will be treated like a spammer by the internet.
Many servers check that an address is a valid address to receive, before they will accept mail from that address.

Your ignorance and lack of knowledge stands out
how do you know my location? oh I guess you looked up the IP I posted here, thats fine :lol:

ok so you jumping into conclusions again, first that I am a spammer and second that I dont know what opting in means, you dont need to tell me that legit newsletter is a one you opt in and have an unsubscribe option, I know that, yet still it is a mail address which doesnt care about receving, only sending, so your point? its not spam.

by the way let me tell you and palinka something, being a tough guy and rejeceting every second email that is sent to you is just your own loss
I have few very importent emails that ended up in spam folder
let me tell you also that I receive fishing emails on weekly basis, its stupid obvious I never click on em.

also, using yahoo, my details have been breached, I have already changed my password since than, but 2 months ago a service I am registered at has been breached by hackers and yet again my email and password went exposed, I may change my password to that service, but this is a password that I am using for other services aswell (with some changes in big / small latters and location)
but here is the big thing, I receive emails almost on daily basis, on different services I am registered at, for log-in attemps on my account, I am talking about 3-4 services, including my Iphone, I get a pop-up on my phone that someone tried to access my account (while not all of those accounts has the same password), from different countries, can be russia, chilla, some middle east country, I dont know if it is one guy with VPN or multiple people, but believe or not it doesnt bother me that mucht, I have 2 way varification so they can try to log in as much as they like, I must approve it in the end. (up untill today no harm or password change have been performed on me.).

What I am trying to say it that no matter how carefull and protective you may be, not everything is in your hards, basiclly the chances for hackers to target you from all peoeple are tiny, but when a database has been breached and you are in that database, thats where most problems comes from, and thats the main of target for hackers.

In conclusion, I think YOU (and palinka) should stop be so afraid of emails ,you may even, god forbid, receive an offer that could actaully interest you!!
by the way you didnt stress me one bit with that silly jail argumenet

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-12-03 20:01

illidan5 wrote:
jim.bus wrote:
2020-12-03 00:00

dkim._domainkey - good
The reason I wrote 'If you follow the steps carefully, you should be able to set up your DKIM TXT Record using this tutorial' is because you made the same mistake I made when I first followed the Tutorial. But I went back and reread it and followed the Tutorial CAREFULLY and then I successfully created my DKIM TXT Record.

But again you chose to not follow instructions and assumed you did what the Tutorial said to do and what you ended up with was incorrect because you didn't follow the Tutorial correctly.