Page 1 of 1

Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-11-30 07:21
by G4ELI
Hi All,

I am running hMailServer with phpBB and it's superb. One small issue - I use a static IP which is registered as residential, some hosts such as Hotmail return errors, example below.

I assume that I cannot overcome this by adding a certificate somewhere? I'm sure the answer is no - but let's see what you say. ATT is (was) a PITA with residential addresses.

Code: Select all

Error Type: SMTP
   Remote server (104.47.17.161) issued an error.
   hMailServer sent: MAIL FROM:<forums@dit-dit-dit.com>
   Remote server replied: 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [81.174.138.141] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3150). You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. [VI1EUR05FT037.eop-eur05.prod.protection.outlook.com]

Re: Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-11-30 07:38
by G4ELI
I think I can answer this myself, the answer being no :(

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/911 ... -classifie

Re: Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-11-30 10:25
by mattg
RDNS may help, certificates help, SPF helps, DMARC helps, static IPs certainly help

Most services classed as residential are dynamic IP

Check this guide for more hints
https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewt ... 21&t=32458

Re: Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-11-30 14:22
by palinka
G4ELI wrote:
2020-11-30 07:21
Hi All,

I am running hMailServer with phpBB and it's superb. One small issue - I use a static IP which is registered as residential, some hosts such as Hotmail return errors, example below.

I assume that I cannot overcome this by adding a certificate somewhere? I'm sure the answer is no - but let's see what you say. ATT is (was) a PITA with residential addresses.

Code: Select all

Error Type: SMTP
   Remote server (104.47.17.161) issued an error.
   hMailServer sent: MAIL FROM:<forums@dit-dit-dit.com>
   Remote server replied: 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [81.174.138.141] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3150). You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. [VI1EUR05FT037.eop-eur05.prod.protection.outlook.com]
Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3150)

You're on a PBL (Policy Block List) maintained by your ISP and reported to various blacklists. They do this to reduce spam with the idea that only a business account should have a mail server, therefore residential IPs should automatically be regarded as spammers. The ONLY way off the list is to upgrade your account and ask your ISP to remove you from the PBL (if its not automatically removed when you upgrade your account).

Alternatively, you can send through a third party relay. There are a few free ones with limitations. The most generous one I've found is smtp2go.com. I pay for their service. The free one has a pretty generous monthly limit but there is an hourly limit as well. Anyway, have a look to see if it works for your volume. Also, there are plenty of free alternatives as well. I haven't looked in a long time. Good luck.

Re: Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-12-01 20:09
by G4ELI
palinka wrote:
2020-11-30 14:22
G4ELI wrote:
2020-11-30 07:21
Hi All,

I am running hMailServer with phpBB and it's superb. One small issue - I use a static IP which is registered as residential, some hosts such as Hotmail return errors, example below.

I assume that I cannot overcome this by adding a certificate somewhere? I'm sure the answer is no - but let's see what you say. ATT is (was) a PITA with residential addresses.

Code: Select all

Error Type: SMTP
   Remote server (104.47.17.161) issued an error.
   hMailServer sent: MAIL FROM:<forums@dit-dit-dit.com>
   Remote server replied: 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [81.174.138.141] weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3150). You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors. [VI1EUR05FT037.eop-eur05.prod.protection.outlook.com]
Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list (S3150)

You're on a PBL (Policy Block List) maintained by your ISP and reported to various blacklists. They do this to reduce spam with the idea that only a business account should have a mail server, therefore residential IPs should automatically be regarded as spammers. The ONLY way off the list is to upgrade your account and ask your ISP to remove you from the PBL (if its not automatically removed when you upgrade your account).

Alternatively, you can send through a third party relay. There are a few free ones with limitations. The most generous one I've found is smtp2go.com. I pay for their service. The free one has a pretty generous monthly limit but there is an hourly limit as well. Anyway, have a look to see if it works for your volume. Also, there are plenty of free alternatives as well. I haven't looked in a long time. Good luck.
Thanks - sadly you're right :( .

Re: Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-12-02 08:30
by Virinum
No. It’s Microsoft. They have their own blocklist. Problem with Microsoft is that if someone from your subnet sends spam, Microsoft blocks the whole subnet.

You can ask for delisting here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/get ... =edfsmsbl3

But you have to be persistent. I have done that a multiple times, because my VPS provider (netcup, Germany) has this problem with their IP addresses, too.

Just google for the phrase "Unfortunately, messages from weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list" and you’ll find a lot of results from people with this problem.

Re: Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-12-02 17:06
by RvdH
Virinum wrote:
2020-12-02 08:30
No. It’s Microsoft. They have their own blocklist. Problem with Microsoft is that if someone from your subnet sends spam, Microsoft blocks the whole subnet.
Not entirely true, his IP is also on http://www.spamrats.com/bl?81.174.138.141

Re: Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-12-02 18:06
by Virinum
RvdH wrote:
2020-12-02 17:06
Not entirely true, his IP is also on http://www.spamrats.com/bl?81.174.138.141
Yes, you’re right.
I don’t know which blacklists Microsoft uses. But when I got exactly this error from Microsoft I wasn’t on any public blocklist. Just on Microsoft’s internal list.

For me the IP 81.174.138.141 seems to be a business IP because it has a proper reverse entry.

Re: Add a Certificate / Reduce Blocing

Posted: 2020-12-02 22:13
by G4ELI
All,

Your replies are superb, just like hMailServer.