Corona Virus

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Corona Virus

Post by SorenR » 2020-08-16 15:53

jim.bus wrote:
2020-08-16 06:24
I had seen these portions of the Johnathan Swan interview some days ago. And this interview just shows how unfit this idiotic excuse for a president is. Yes the Campaign Slogan is very appropriate MAGA (Morons Are Governing America).
I would love seeing "Sleepy Joe" and "Marge Simpson" elected - and then have "Sleepy Joe" step back ...

That would be EPIC ... Some would call it KARMA :mrgreen:

Having a woman of colour as President of The United States ... Priceless 8)

Anyways, if "Sleepy Joe" wants to put some danish influence into America here is some info..'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG_tg5ldBrQ
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)
Word used by programmers when they do not want to explain what they did.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-08-17 00:22

SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-08-18 12:19

In Germany they have started hoarding sausage & cheese…
They call the situation wurst käse scenario :mrgreen:
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-08-18 12:50

SorenR wrote:
2020-08-18 12:19
In Germany they have started hoarding sausage & cheese…
They call the situation wurst käse scenario :mrgreen:
Taxi! for Soren.
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-08-18 13:09

SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-08-18 17:21

SorenR wrote:
2020-08-18 13:09
I want one of these...

https://www.earthlymission.com/alien-fa ... face-mask/

That was the first thing my friend made when he got his new 3d printer. That was before corona chan.

AamiBrown
New user
New user

Post by AamiBrown » 2020-08-22 13:31

Most difficult last 6 months. Things are getting better in Paris but still i would recommend others to stay safe and must use mask. I am watching many people are looking relaxed and that is just not the demand of this time. We must prove that we are responsible citizens

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-08-22 13:56

AamiBrown wrote:
2020-08-22 13:31
Most difficult last 6 months. Things are getting better in Paris but still i would recommend others to stay safe and must use mask. I am watching many people are looking relaxed and that is just not the demand of this time. We must prove that we are responsible citizens
Most of them I presume are "Generation Z" aka Snowflakes... Their motto: don't worry, mom and dad will fix it.
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-08-24 06:52

FB_IMG_1598244503560.jpg
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-10-24 10:36

From a survey around the world Donald Trump is less popular than Putin and Xi. :lol:

Full story here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54541907
5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-10-31 09:51

palinka wrote:
2020-03-29 16:36
SorenR wrote:
2020-03-29 16:24
Can I just say one thing ...

Masks are ONLY good for NOT spreading virus to OTHER PEOPLE!
That is NOT TRUE. They are indeed particularly effective at not spreading the virus to others. But they are also effective against catching the virus. Anyone who tells you otherwise should be written off.

Anyway, if everyone wore a mask, we wouldn't need the lockdown.
And yet:

BBC News - Covid: Are we heading back into a full lockdown?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54712917

All of these countries have had wearing masks as compulsory for months. And still are.

As I said, it doesn't look like wearing masks works, does it. And one has to remember to factor in the quality of what people are wearing out there and suitability of how people wear them. After all, the average Joe Public is not medically trained (knowing how to wear and handle them) or given medical grade masks.

No, mask effectiveness was always going to be minimal.

Now... locking in students from the rest of the world would have a very different outcome. It's no coincidence numbers have shot up since they went back to schools, colleges and universities. They think themselves exempt from regulations and blatantly defy social distancing rules at the pubs or 'residency halls' because "it doesn't affect them".

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-10-31 10:18

In the US recently on the MSNBC network it was noted that in certain States where COVID was spiking certain Counties enacted a mask mandate other Counties did not. The ones with the Mask Mandate the rate of COVID infection went down and in those that did not enact the Mask Mandate the rate of COVID infection was higher.

It is apparently well established that Masks generally help prevent infection of others with COVID but the Mask does not generally protect the wearer of the Mask unless you are wearing special types of Masks such as the N95 Mask. Cloth Masks were determined to be the least effective in preventing spread of COVID infected droplets. Wearing a Handkerchief Cloth Mask was probably the worse or T-Shirt Material, etc. Surgical Masks were slightly better at this. Yet the consensus was Masks still kept down the rate of infection.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-10-31 10:32

Don't get me wrong, for the avoidance of doubt: my observation and claim is that masks will not solve the problem as was the claim by Palinka. I do not advocate not wearing then as even the worse performing ones (7% effective) is still 7% of smeg not transmitted. But that still leaves the remaining transmitted smeg out there that will contribute to cause infection.

As your post and claims: at best it reduces the proliferation, it doesn't stop it. Therefore we need to involve other measures and have less faith in masks alone.

Maybe this is why: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/coron ... eathe.html

(Trump supporter? 😉)

5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-10-31 11:34

In my post the ratings of the vary mask except for the N95 Mask actually came from one particular doctor as a source for these claims about degree of effectiveness. Generally though it is thought the Masks do contribute to significantly reduce infection (my interpretation of reports I hear).

The problem I see though is we have the crazies in the Republican Dominated States who believe the even crazier president about his claims that the Pandemic is over or we'll just get 'Herd Immunity' which all the real experts say doesn't work and these crazies will not wear the Masks. I believe if memory serves me correctly Sweden tried Herd Immunity and it didn't work or maybe it was Switzerland.

My State actually is one of the few where supposedly our curve has either flattened out or is going slightly down while the majority of the States are going up again with what they are calling the 3rd Wave. My County got moved to the second lowest risk tier and they accordingly opened up more business functions. However, the County states the only reason we got moved into the lower tier was because the number of tests we were doing had gone up. I personally don't trust government's assessment of the risk as I've seen them do this before and then a few days later they moved us back up into the higher tier. I believe our Governor succumbed to some of the political pressure to open up too soon.

Another problem I see is that even though our rate of infection is down, the fast food restaurant workers, at least, are not all wearing the masks properly. I see them with their masks pulled down below the nose which defeats the purpose of the mask. I see the workers sanitizing the outdoor dining tables and in my opinion they are not doing a thorough enough job and definitely don't sanitize the chairs the customers sit in as they are supposed to do. Some do better than others but I wouldn't trust them. When I eat out at a fast food restaurant, I get my food and since i want my food hot instead of taking it home to eat or reheat and eat, I simply eat my food in my car in front of the restaurant. That way I'm isolated from everybody.

So I generally trust the scientists claims of wearing a mask reduces infection but common sense tells you it isn't going to catch everything. The masks as well as the other guidelines would probably work better if the people actually followed the guidance. But in downtown restaurants for instance, I don't see any Social Distancing. I wouldn't eat in Downtown because from my perspective that is very dangerous of infection with COVID.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-10-31 13:39

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-10-31 09:51
All of these countries have had wearing masks as compulsory for months. And still are.

As I said, it doesn't look like wearing masks works, does it. And one has to remember to factor in the quality of what people are wearing out there and suitability of how people wear them. After all, the average Joe Public is not medically trained (knowing how to wear and handle them) or given medical grade masks.

No, mask effectiveness was always going to be minimal.
This is true. I was wrong about that insofar as nobody pays attention to protocols for handling the masks. Masks do work if you take precautions on how you wear them, remove them, etc. But if you just stuff it in your pocket so its handy when you're forced to wear one in the supermarket (that's what I do today) then there's no benefit whatsoever. In the beginning I took proper precautions with the masks, we had a protocol for bringing groceries, etc into the house, we were serious about it. But when the data moved away from the fear mongering we gave up on all that stuff. I think I may have even had it.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-06 21:32

https://www.tiktok.com/@paulhill407/vid ... 8195833093

This about sums him up.

Shameful.

5.7 on test.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-11-06 22:00

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-06 21:32
https://www.tiktok.com/@paulhill407/vid ... 8195833093

This about sums him up.

Shameful.

Not to worry... Come January 20 Trump is history and on January 21 (as planned) Biden retire and hand the torch to Harris. That'll teach 'em :mrgreen:

SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-07 19:13

There is nothing more pleasing than watching a control freak narcissist crumble and spit his dummy as he realises that his words, beliefs and attempts to control fails to be recognised or impact on anyone relevant, and that he is NOT the messiah after all.

But he is a very naughty boy. :mrgreen:

This is brilliant entertainment. See. America can be funny sometimes.
5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-07 20:40

Everybody should be HAPPY NOW!

Biden is the projected winner of election and now is the presumptive President Elect for the US.

Hoping the FBI will be waiting on Chump's doorstep to arrest him at 12:00 Noon on 1-20-21 for his crimes against humanity.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-07 20:47

Or (if he really is smart).....

Next week he retires handing the remaining presidency term to Pence. Then Pence bestows a presidential pardon from prosecution upon Trump before January.

Then trump remains free.
5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-07 23:09

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-07 20:47
Or (if he really is smart).....

Next week he retires handing the remaining presidency term to Pence. Then Pence bestows a presidential pardon from prosecution upon Trump before January.

Then trump remains free.
Speculation from MSNBC is that he will Pardon himself. I keep hearing back and forth on this issue as to whether Chump Pardons himself or if it is Pence. However, he can only be pardoned by one of them for Federal crimes. He is still subject to State prosecution on the State Crimes he is charged with.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-07 23:38

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-07 23:09
However, he can only be pardoned by one of them for Federal crimes. He is still subject to State prosecution on the State Crimes he is charged with.
What are the details of the charges and whom?
5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-07 23:56

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-07 23:38
jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-07 23:09
However, he can only be pardoned by one of them for Federal crimes. He is still subject to State prosecution on the State Crimes he is charged with.
What are the details of the charges and whom?
I don't know all the specifics but Cy Vance, a New York District Attorney, is investigating Trump and/or his businesses for I think it may be Bank Fraud for one thing. I believe also he is up for Tax Evasion (State Level). He would report for instance his income for Tax Purposes one way and then his income a different way when he wanted a Bank Loan. It apparently is a crime to make false statements to a Bank for instance in order to obtain a loan. I understand Deutsche Bank is trying to divest themselves from Trump perhaps to avoid any legal issues with their affiliation to Trump. Michael Cohen his one time Attorney and Fixer has ratted him out as to his business dealings. Guiliani his now personal Attorney is also being investigated. His niece Mary Trump, who is a psychologist, has made a number of damning statements about her uncle and i believe written a book about him. Some of his crimes are both Federal and State crimes though I don't recall which ones.

So, even if he can get off on the Federal Crimes, he still has exposure for some of the same State Crimes and possibly other crimes which may be only State Crimes.

Did you see today all the people not only out across the nation in major cities but especially lined up in front of the White House with signs stating 'Your're Fired', 'Fired', 'Fuck You', 'Fuck Off', people walking around holding up the middle finger. One notable thing about the crowds today compared to other Chumper Supporter crowds. These crowds apparently were non-violent and no Police Pepper Spraying.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-08 00:04

Yes been watching the updates throughout the day - lots of tv coverage on bbc and sky news channels (amongst others).

I particularly liked the recent days of trump (and supporters) requesting "stop the count " once they saw he was now losing and Biden was already ahead. He didn't realise that continuing to count was the only way he was going to be able to win. (Stopping would definitely mean he lost).

Doh! :lol:
5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-08 00:31

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-08 00:04
Yes been watching the updates throughout the day - lots of tv coverage on bbc and sky news channels (amongst others).

I particularly liked the recent days of trump (and supporters) requesting "stop the count " once they saw he was now losing and Biden was already ahead. He didn't realise that continuing to count was the only way he was going to be able to win. (Stopping would definitely mean he lost).

Doh! :lol:
He most likely wanted to 'stop the count' because he was planning his frivolous lawsuits which didn't have a ghost of a chance of winning. By stopping the count if his lawsuits prevailed, he would have a better chance of winning because he was hoping to not only stop the counts but get votes disqualified and the fewer the votes the greater his chance of winning.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-11-08 00:32

The Election process in the USA is very different than we have here in Australia

I mean the concept of an Electoral college, where the entire state votes with all 'electoral college' votes going in the same direction, no matter how close the count is, seems bizarre from the outside looking in...

And then how do you 'fix' ballots after the election
https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1 ... 6124243970

I know that we have our idiosyncrasies too, (we have compulsory voting - we get fined if we don't vote)
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-08 00:46

First the Electoral College is only applicable to the President and Vice President. It was a concession to the States during the Writing of the US Constitution. The States did not want to give up power and the Electoral College was created to keep the Bigger States from having too much power over the smaller States.

I take great exception to people including recently Biden as well who state the election of the President is entirely up to the people. This is a false statement when you take into consideration the Electoral College. The people do not elect the President and Vice President. It is the Electors of the Electoral College who elect the President.

But in my opinion, if we were a True Democracy then the people would be the ones who would elect the President not the Electoral College which made the election lean more towards the States electing the President in my opinion. The Electoral College is how we got into this unacceptable President we currently have. Chump lost the Popular vote by around 3,000,000 votes but he won the Electoral College due to the way the Electoral College is structured. This is why we have all this news coverage about why Biden was winning these States. It is why we have this concept of swing states and battleground states. With a Popular Vote method I believe all that wouldn't matter. It would only depend on who got the most votes by the people.

Incidentally I believe it is all but two states' Electors are required to vote for the nominee. The other two states it more something like the Electors are apportioned out to however many votes one nominee got. I believe the State of Maine is one such State.

The Electoral College is an archaic method designed to appease the states in the beginning so they would sign off on the US Constitution.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-08 00:58

So, as Mattg said, bizarre.
5.7 on test.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-11-08 01:05

The 'popular vote' concept, I also find troubling...

And I know that my country is different. We have most of our population in three coastal centres. Greater Sydney, Greater Melbourne /Geelong, and South East Queensland (Brisbane / Gold Coast / Sunshine Coast).

The rest of Australia is responsible most of our nation's income; both farming and mining are significant parts of the Australian economy.

We 'try' to adopt some sort of 'one-vote = one-value' to a degree, but in the urban centres we have electorates that span a couple of suburbs, whereas in the bush the electorates can be the best part of a million square kilometres.

I firmly believe that 1 vote = 1 value is detrimental to those that choose to live in the bush, those that make the money

I'm really not sure how my thoughts transgress to the USA though. Despite Australia being similarly sized to mainland USA, our populations numbers are very disparate
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-08 02:41

Electoral College problem.

Each State gets one Elector for every member of Congress which is 2 Electors for each State for each Senator of each State plus one Elector for each member of the House of Representatives. There is one Representative to represent a certain number of people of the State as determined by a Census every 10 years.

Take the State of Rhode Island which has a population around 1,000,000. and the State of California which has a population of around 39,500,000. California has 2 Senators and 53 Representatives for a total of 55 Electors. Rhode Island has 2 Senators and 2 Representatives for a total of 4 Electors.

While California has 55 Electors and Rhode Island has 4 Electors. Rhode Island is gets 2 Electors regardless of how many people are Residents of Rhode Island. California on the other hand gets the same 2 Electors regardless of the fact that California has vastly more population than Rhode Island which means Rhode Island's 2 Electors count more than California's 2 Electors if you look at how many people in each state are being represented by each Elector. These 2 Electors per State essentially representing the States power in the United States.

This is also reflected by the makeup of the 2 Houses of Congress. Each State gets 2 Senators with a Term of 6 years and the House of Representatives is made up of Representatives representing the people the number of Representatives being determined by the population of the State. Each Representative serves for a term of 2 years. The Senators approve appointment of Cabinet members of the Executive Branch and Judges and Justices of the Courts and Supreme Court. This is what let the Republican party which is in the minority compared to the Democrats seize dominance in the Senate and get to approve so many Conservative Justices of the Supreme Court and in the Federal Courts because while the Republicans are elected by a minority of the population of the US they are in the majority in the Senate due to the way states are made up.

Originally the Senators were appointed by the States and the Representatives were voted in by the People. Later on this was changed and the Senators were directly elected by the people as well. But the Senators were originally supposed to reflect the State's interests in the Federal Government.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-11-08 10:11

mattg wrote:
2020-11-08 00:32
And then how do you 'fix' ballots after the election
https://twitter.com/marceelias/status/1 ... 6124243970
This has been re-tweeted by many democrats including Hillary

How does that concept work?

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-08 11:43

That's gibberish to me. Maybe Jim.Bus us will explain.
5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-08 11:49

I am not sure about how fixing the Ballot fully works but from the little references to it I have seen on TV, one type of fixing the Ballot is this. When the Ballot arrives at the Elections Office, the signature may not match well enough to the way the voter's registration signature was signed. If this is the case the Elections Office will try to contact the voter to verify the signature is really the Registered Voter's signature. Signatures might not match well enough for a number of reasons such as the Registered Voter may have signed the Registration Form when (s)he was 18 and now its 30 years later and a person's signature may change over the years. Another way the Ballot could be fixed is that it is not clear from the way the Ballot was marked as to whom the Voter was actually voting for. Maybe the Oval wasn't clearly marked or perhaps there may be two marked Ovals for the same office where only one nominee can be marked, then the Elections Office might contact the Voter to clarify who they wanted to vote for.

I may not have all the particulars of the process exactly correct but this is what I have heard our Local News refer to. And I don't know if this process of Fixing The Ballot is the same in all States as the States make their own rules on Voting Procedures. I don't believe this should be left up to the States. I believe there should be a uniform set of Voting Rules. I was appalled a week or so ago when I found out that there really isn't any Universal Right to Vote provided for in the US Constitution. It's mostly left up to the States to determine Voter Eligibility.
Last edited by jim.bus on 2020-11-08 11:56, edited 1 time in total.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-08 11:54

Found this - it may help explain what this twitter user is trying to get absentee voters to check for: https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/ ... 576638001/

I suspect that because numbers are tight he wants to ensure that voters haven't had incorrect rejections whilst they still have time.
5.7 on test.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-11-09 00:56

mattg wrote:
...seems bizarre from the outside looking in...
but then I 'd have trouble explaining our 'Gerrymander' too

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-09 01:36

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-08 11:54
Found this - it may help explain what this twitter user is trying to get absentee voters to check for: https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/ ... 576638001/

I suspect that because numbers are tight he wants to ensure that voters haven't had incorrect rejections whilst they still have time.
These were the types of things I was referring to in my attempt at explaining how fixing the Ballot worked. Yes you would need to get your Ballot in early so that you would have time to get your Ballot corrected if you were notified of the problem early enough to correct the Ballot. Because of what Trump was doing with the Post Office and other tactics, it was taking a long time for not only the mail-in Ballot to reach the voter but it might not have time to get back to the Elections Office to be counted. This is one of the reasons the Elections Offices were suggesting you Track Your Ballot. And the rules for when a mail-in Ballot would be counted after the actual Election Day (11-3-20) differed by State. Trump and the Republicans were trying to make it as difficult as possible to Vote By Mail because most Vote By Mail voters were Democratic and they wanted to suppress the Democratic Voters' votes so he would have the greater chance of winning re-election.

At least Biden is already working on the Transition process and states he will be implementing a COVID Plan which Trump never really had any Plan. His current Plan is to do nothing and let COVID run its course (Herd Immunity). This is the plan from a person with a negative IQ Rating.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-09 01:51

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-09 01:36
(Herd Immunity)
This is only hope and wishful thinking as there is no scientific evidence that this is going to happen. On the contrary, recent studies suggests that the antibodies are only effective for a few months (putting the dampners in not only herd immunity as a solution but also long term vaccinations).

The only thing that will guarantee you not getting the virus twice is dieing from it the first time.

5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-09 02:36

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-09 01:51
jim.bus wrote:
(Herd Immunity)
This is only hope and wishful thinking as there is no scientific evidence that this is going to happen. On the contrary, recent studies suggests that the antibodies are only effective for a few months (putting the dampners in not only herd immunity as a solution but also long term vaccinations).

The only thing that will guarantee you not getting the virus twice is dieing from it the first time.

This is why Trump has an IQ in the negative range. He found a person who knows absolutely nothing about infectious diseases who is supplanting the person who heads up the Infectious Diseases area of the National Institute of Health (NIH), a very reputable person, for someone who touts Trump's beliefs as Trump really wants to do nothing. Remember Trump believes injecting Bleach will cure COVID.

This link seems to indicate that there might be a longer immunity response than just a few months with a vaccine but more research is required before they would have that answer.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... virus-last

DominTh
New user
New user

Post by DominTh » 2020-11-09 11:17

does anyone have any idea when this is all going to end ?

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-09 11:27

DominTh wrote:
2020-11-09 11:17
does anyone have any idea when this is all going to end ?
What? Corona, election or my acute observations and banning on random posters that try to build reputation before dropping in spam?

5.7 on test.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-09 12:08

mattg wrote:
2020-11-09 00:56
mattg wrote:
Ok. I can't resist any longer. I will ask.

Your.... what??

5.7 on test.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-09 12:57

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-09 12:08
mattg wrote:
2020-11-09 00:56
mattg wrote:
Ok. I can't resist any longer. I will ask.

Your.... what??

I don't know if mattg means they have the same thing as us but 'Gerrymander' is from the US referring to 'a practice intended to establish an unfair political advantage for a particular party or group by manipulating district boundaries, which is most commonly used in first-past-the-post electoral systems'. The US Republican Party is most noted for doing this where they have power in the US. The Republican Party would redraw a Congressional District boundary so that it encompassed as many Republican Voters as possible so they could win the District in the House Of Representatives.

This link explains the term and origin of the word a little bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-11-10 02:16

Yep that one

But we seem to have gone an extra step at times in the past.
We have been known to have two or more geographically disparate areas (areas that aren't connected) grouped together to form an electorate.

And again this practice goes against the one-vote = one-value, a scheme that I don't agree with, so I guess that means that I like a little Gerrymander.

We also used to have 2 houses of parliament in classic Westminster style, but we had a suicide squad in our state Senate in 1922. They got elected in and then dismantled the Queensland Senate from the inside. Now we only have a single house in our state parliament.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legislati ... Queensland.

Generally in Australia, our National Senate (and other state senates) has many representatives of really minor parties, some far right, some far left, some with just one cause eg 'Australian Motoring Enthusiast party'.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-10 05:53

mattg wrote:
2020-11-10 02:16
Yep that one

We have been known to have two or more geographically disparate areas (areas that aren't connected) grouped together to form an electorate.
That sort of sounds like what happens in the US, too. There may be two geographical areas of Republicans and the District Boundaries would be drawn such that two geographically separate areas may be connected by a thin bridge of territory (think of something like a weight lifters dumbbell weight) such that the whole area would consist of mostly Registered Republican Voters. I'm not sure if that thin bridge has to even physically be present. And that thin Bridge wouldn't even have to look look like a dumbbell either.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-10 06:04

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-09 01:51
jim.bus wrote:
(Herd Immunity)

It was just announced today and Dr. Fauci the head Infectious Disease expert of the NIH seemed to atest to this study but there was encouraging news of a new Vaccine Trial by one of the Drug Companies (not sure but I think it might have been Pfizer) which was showing 90% effectiveness. I know from other announcements that usually they expect a new vaccine to only be 50% effective at first. If this proved to pass the Trials, then it might be possible to have such a vaccine sometime in 2021. But since it is not out of Trial I wouldn't count on that but that was the announcement I heard today and supposedly by reputable sources with someone like Dr. Fauci having inspected the announcement.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-11-10 10:57

Asked about why Pfizer did not accept public funding, Pfizer CEO saying "I wanted to keep Pfizer out of politics" :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/statu ... scientists
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-10 11:37

Quite right too. Because the outgoing U.S president had very much stated he wanted to oblige the American companies to supply/prioritse the vaccines to the U.S.
5.7 on test.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-11-10 15:13

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-10 05:53
mattg wrote:
Yep that one

That sort of sounds like what happens in the US, too. There may be two geographical areas of Republicans and the District Boundaries would be drawn such that two geographically separate areas may be connected by a thin bridge of territory (think of something like a weight lifters dumbbell weight) such that the whole area would consist of mostly Registered Republican Voters. I'm not sure if that thin bridge has to even physically be present. And that thin Bridge wouldn't even have to look look like a dumbbell either.
Why do you only blame Republicans for that, as if they're the only ones doing it?

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-11-10 15:18

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-11-10 11:37
Because the outgoing U.S president...
There is no outgoing president. There is a current president awaiting re-inauguration and a fake-news-pretending-to-be pipe dream of a president. But no outgoing president. Not in 2020.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-10 23:50

palinka wrote:
2020-11-10 15:13
jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-10 05:53
mattg wrote:
Yep that one

Why do you only blame Republicans for that, as if they're the only ones doing it?

Probably mostly because the Republicans seem to be the ones who are abusing the concept of Gerrymandering the most. Actually I would like to see the Party System abolished. For one thing I don't believe the Constitution actually was written with a Party System in mind. If you read the Constitution about the election of President and Vice President you can see it looks like the two offices are sort of actually separately voted for. Whereas today people vote for the Presidential-Vice Presidential ticket of their choice. In the link I provided about Gerrymandering it also indicated that the Democratic leaning Districts formed were made up of both Liberals and Conservatives. This combination tended though to lean towards Democratic but that only goes to show you that there appeared to be a tendency of Conservatives to be in the minority. Today, despite what Mitt Romney just stated a couple of days ago, Conservatives appear to be in the minority but yet with the crazy Electoral College system the minority is controlling the majority. This, I believe, is done by winning a certain combination of States which can total at least 270 Electoral Votes. If you look at the link I provided earlier on Gerrymandering, you will find a reference to when the US was including more Territories into States, the Republicans managed to get more States that would be friendly to the Republicans by using such tactics as with the Dakotas by splitting the Dakotas into two States which leaned towards Republicans. Under the rules of the Constitution all states got at least 3 Electors regardless of population and so with there being two Dakotas which leaned towards Republicans there were now at least 6 Electors with a probability of leaning Republican.

So, yes Gerrymandering is done by both parties but as of late, what I seem to be hearing about are Republican interests abusing the Gerrymandering System or at least most of the time. But just look at what happened in our last two Presidential Elections. In both cases the Republicans were the Minority Party. In the 2016 Election Clinton won the Popular Vote but the 'Chump' won the election with a minority of the Popular Vote and in the 2020 Election Biden won the Election with an even greater Popular Vote. Clearly the Republicans are the Minority despite what Mitt Romney said a couple of days ago.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-11-10 23:52

jimimaseye wrote:
Quite right too. Because the outgoing U.S president had very much stated he wanted to oblige the American companies to supply/prioritse the vaccines to the U.S.
As did just about every world leader about their own country (my Prime Minister included)

SorenR wrote:
2020-11-10 10:57
Asked about why Pfizer did not accept public funding, Pfizer CEO saying "I wanted to keep Pfizer out of politics" :mrgreen:

That's interesting

I deal with a number of drug companies on a daily basis, and from where I sit I wouldn't correlate 'ethics' with Pfizer.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-10 23:57

mattg wrote:
2020-11-10 23:52
jimimaseye wrote:
As did just about every world leader about their own country (my Prime Minister included)

SorenR wrote:
2020-11-10 10:57

That's interesting

I deal with a number of drug companies on a daily basis, and from where I sit I wouldn't correlate 'ethics' with Pfizer.
Yeah, but a business will say anything, as do politicians, to bolster their public image. So, I would neither agree nor disagree with your statement about Pfizer as it could possibly (and more likely probably) be true.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-11-11 00:00

Don't Pfizer make viagra?

I took ones of those once but it got stuck in my throat.

I had a stiff neck all day.

😁
5.7 on test.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-11-11 01:38

I hope stocks for Pfizer take a dive so I can be the first to say, "Viagra Falls."
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-11-11 01:42

This will no doubt put Coca Cola out of business in the near future...!

The Pfizer Corporation announced today that Viagra will soon be available in liquid form and this new product will be marketed by Pepsi Cola as a power beverage suitable for use as a mixer.

It will now be possible for a man to literally pour himself a stiff one. Obviously we can no longer call this a soft drink, and it gives new meaning to the names of cocktails, highballs and just a good old-fashioned stiff drink.

Pepsi will discontinue selling Mountain Dew and market the new concoction by the name - Mount & Do

And... if you don't send this to five senior friends right away there will be five fewer people laughing today.
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-11-11 02:35

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-10 23:50
So, yes Gerrymandering is done by both parties but as of late, what I seem to be hearing about are Republican interests abusing the Gerrymandering System or at least most of the time. But just look at what happened in our last two Presidential Elections. In both cases the Republicans were the Minority Party. In the 2016 Election Clinton won the Popular Vote but the 'Chump' won the election with a minority of the Popular Vote and in the 2020 Election Biden won the Election with an even greater Popular Vote. Clearly the Republicans are the Minority despite what Mitt Romney said a couple of days ago.
Don't you think upstate NY republicans feel the same way about NYC? One population center rules over a diverse state. And even that's not enough for democrats because they gerrymander the upstate districts to keep themselves in power. They'll get another chance soon as well. NY state is bleeding residents - even before covid there was a net loss. NYC lost over 450k people. That's over 5% of its population. Those people moved out of state or to the suburbs. The suburbs are literally 100% developed, so its a zero sum population game: for every former NYC family moving in, one suburban family is moving out of state completely. There are facebook groups dedicated to fleeing Long Island and Westchester (suburbia to NYC). They're mostly moving to the Carolinas and Florida.

NY will lose at least one more district due to population decline after the current census. NY lost 2 districts after the 2010 census.

And clinton didn't win the popular vote in 2016. That will be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt in the coming weeks.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-11-14 07:18

palinka wrote:
2020-11-11 02:35
jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-10 23:50
Don't you think upstate NY republicans feel the same way about NYC? One population center rules over a diverse state. And even that's not enough for democrats because they gerrymander the upstate districts to keep themselves in power. They'll get another chance soon as well. NY state is bleeding residents - even before covid there was a net loss. NYC lost over 450k people. That's over 5% of its population. Those people moved out of state or to the suburbs. The suburbs are literally 100% developed, so its a zero sum population game: for every former NYC family moving in, one suburban family is moving out of state completely. There are facebook groups dedicated to fleeing Long Island and Westchester (suburbia to NYC). They're mostly moving to the Carolinas and Florida.

NY will lose at least one more district due to population decline after the current census. NY lost 2 districts after the 2010 census.

And clinton didn't win the popular vote in 2016. That will be proven beyond the shadow of a doubt in the coming weeks.
You left off the portion of what I said about the Democratic leaning Districts. When the Democrats drew the District boundaries the Districts tended to include Liberals and minorities with Conservatives which did tend to be Democratic leaning Districts. I did leave out the next sentence which would have been that the Districts drawn by Republicans tended to be all Conservatives and all liberals which resulted in purely partisan Districts. But at least the Democratic drawn Districts consisted of a Coalition of interests and not all partisan. This in my mind might indicate that the Conservatives would tend to be in the minority since the Democratically drawn Districts did tend to be Democrats.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-11-14 14:46

jim.bus wrote:
2020-11-14 07:18

When the Democrats drew the District boundaries the Districts tended to include Liberals and minorities with Conservatives which did tend to be Democratic leaning Districts. I did leave out the next sentence which would have been that the Districts drawn by Republicans tended to be all Conservatives and all liberals which resulted in purely partisan Districts.
I don't see a difference. The goal is the same, no?

Republican gerrymandering carves up cities into Districts surrounding - like a hub and spokes. That's logical because democrats are stronger in cities.

Democrat gerrymandering tends to carve up cities, but link the carved parts with other city carved parts. This cuts rural Republican areas into ribbons. See the NY map as an example. Again, also logical based on R/D rural/urban patterns.

I'm not making an argument for either one - just pointing out how they work. There is no moral superiority to either.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2021-01-05 19:57

palinka wrote:
2020-11-14 14:46
jim.bus wrote:

When the Democrats drew the District boundaries the Districts tended to include Liberals and minorities with Conservatives which did tend to be Democratic leaning Districts. I did leave out the next sentence which would have been that the Districts drawn by Republicans tended to be all Conservatives and all liberals which resulted in purely partisan Districts.

Republican gerrymandering carves up cities into Districts surrounding - like a hub and spokes. That's logical because democrats are stronger in cities.

Democrat gerrymandering tends to carve up cities, but link the carved parts with other city carved parts. This cuts rural Republican areas into ribbons. See the NY map as an example. Again, also logical based on R/D rural/urban patterns.

I'm not making an argument for either one - just pointing out how they work. There is no moral superiority to either.
So what... Republicans lost!

and your president is a criminal!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... erger.html
SørenR.

Algorithm (noun.)

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2021-01-05 23:02

SorenR wrote:
2021-01-05 19:57
palinka wrote:
2020-11-14 14:46
jim.bus wrote:

So what... Republicans lost!

and your president is a criminal!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... erger.html
You got that right. And the Stupid Democrats in Congress will probably want to run out the clock to 1-20-21 giving this 'CRIMINAL' more opportunity to do damage to the Nation. I have badgered my Representative to support an immediate Impeachment now even if it won't result in Removal from Office but you never know and the quicker we can get rid of him the less opportunity he'll have to do any more damage.