i just love

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
johang
Senior user
Senior user

i just love

Post by johang » 2020-08-03 08:55

love.jpg
sometimes i just love seing mailfunctioning scripting in work ..

( yes yes Palinka I KNOW i should do firewall ban.. i am just low maintainance lazy .. )
___________________________________________________________end of the line
spam filter appliance gateway: www.mailcleaner.org

jimimaseye

Re: i just love

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-08-03 09:16

There is a post on the forum somewhere of a screenshot where i received 3.5 thousand autobans overnight. It looked scary until you realise that it's just hmailserver doing its job very well.

Why do you say it a malfunctioning script? Do you mean one of your scripts?

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-08-03 11:10

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-08-03 09:16
There is a post on the forum somewhere of a screenshot where i received 3.5 thousand autobans overnight. It looked scary until you realise that it's just hmailserver doing its job very well.

Why do you say it a malfunctioning script? Do you mean one of your scripts?

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
my reason to call it malfunction is that they actually try to authenticate with "number"name@domain.xx , so their script passes (for example) number 400 in their spam address list as included in emailadddress .. hilarious ..

for instance me actually having "371.spikesley@mydomain.com" as user are almost less then 0% propability in my case :D :D :D and they ask me with and without attached domainname from different IPaddresses ... ( if they wanted just to check for open relay, they could have stopped after 1 try, but these guys try to authenticate from multiple locations with same "username" )
___________________________________________________________end of the line
spam filter appliance gateway: www.mailcleaner.org

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-08-04 14:22

johang wrote:
2020-08-03 08:55
( yes yes Palinka I KNOW i should do firewall ban.. i am just low maintainance lazy .. )
Yeah, baby!!!

Just a dictionary attack. These bot nets are massive. So big they can have individual IPs hit you once and never return. 60% of my firewall bans never return for a second attack.

They're in the long game. Once they verify a user, they'll start attacking based on passwords. The whole thing is brute force that might take years but they'll keep trying no matter how futile it appears.

It hardly costs them anything.