Why using "master" in Github is bad ...

Forum for things that doesn't really have anything to do with hMailServer. Such as php.ini, beer, etc etc.
SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Why using "master" in Github is bad ...

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-20 12:49

BLM is telling the Tech-world off...

https://www.wired.com/story/tech-confro ... ter-slave/

Why do I feel dummer every time I read this sh*t?
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

jimimaseye

Re: Why using "master" in Github is bad ...

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-07-20 13:17

PC gone mad.

We now need to remove the actual definitions of words because people cannot recognise the difference between definition and scenario.

A couple of years ago Aldi (the German supermarket) agreed to remove and rebrand all bottles of its paint of certain colour due to a single complaint by a previous victim of a sexual crime stating that she found it harrowing and upsetting.

What was the product that was complained about and Lidl subsequently vowed to change?

"Rape Yellow" (as in the colour of Rapeseed flowers).

Fact.

So now you cant refer to the colour of a flower because that flower happens to have a name that has 4 letters in it that matches the same word as a harrowing verb.

https://www.rt.com/uk/337223-aldi-rape-yellow-paint/
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-07-20 14:34

Seen recently in the spamassassin mailing list:
Thanks to those responsible for screwing up the scoring of my spamassassin installation. It's been working well for years but now my changes to scoring have been cancelled due to renaming whitelist/blacklist to whatever.

I noticed it purely by accident this morning: USER_IN_WHITELIST_TO no longer gave me the expected score because it has now been replaced by USER_IN_WELCOMELIST_TO.
This stuff is so dumb it boggles the mind. This was a conscious decision. They could have chosen to ignore it.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-20 17:14

palinka wrote:
2020-07-20 14:34
Thanks to those responsible for screwing up the scoring of my spamassassin installation. It's been working well for years but now my changes to scoring have been cancelled due to renaming whitelist/blacklist to whatever.

I noticed it purely by accident this morning: USER_IN_WHITELIST_TO no longer gave me the expected score because it has now been replaced by USER_IN_WELCOMELIST_TO.
This stuff is so dumb it boggles the mind. This was a conscious decision. They could have chosen to ignore it.
https://www.mail-archive.com/users@spam ... 06456.html
SørenR.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2020-07-20 19:41

palinka wrote:
2020-07-20 14:34

and blacklist becomes blocklist.
childish..
Katip
--
HMS 5.7, MariaDB 10.4.10, SA 4.0.0, ClamAV 0.103.8

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-07-20 20:16

katip wrote:
2020-07-20 19:41
and blacklist becomes blocklist.
childish..
It's childish for sure, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really that important.

The fact that they did it mid stream with virtually no notice instead of waiting for a future release is incredibly stupid. It's 100% virtue signaling with no benefit and only downsides.

The other thing is, all of these words they want to change are only in English. I wonder if swahili versions of software will be making the same dumb changes?

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2020-07-20 21:01

black and white are very fundamental definitions in any language, both as basic colors and metaphoric in countless sense.
40 years ago Steve Wonder and Paul McCartney duetted Ebony and Ivory, MJ sung Black and White, both global hits. Hair Musical's very well known 2 hits were Black Boys and White Boys. so what has changed since then? racism is an evil as old as mankind. slowly things are getting towards to a very misleading exaggeration. as if people hear and see something shocking new for the first time...
next debate likely on snow white fairy tale or color of spades and clubs LOL.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7, MariaDB 10.4.10, SA 4.0.0, ClamAV 0.103.8

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-20 21:36

The idea that I, by not being offended offends others, offends me.
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-07-20 23:47

Funniest one:
You go shut your piehole!!!!

Woke white guys who know best about racism against blacks and who use a domain name that insults native Americans have spoken!!!

Black people and people of color need to go sit down and shut up while woke white guys who know best for them do what is best for them.
LOL Apache. If the Redskins have to go, so does Apache.

That's the problem with being woke. Eventually the even more woke will eat you. Just because you virtue signaled by renaming a small piece of code in an obscure piece of software - it ain't gonna save you from being eaten.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-20 23:59

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... 470b0061bb

Code: Select all

diff --git a/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst b/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst
index 2657a55c6f12..1bee6f8affdb 100644
--- a/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst
+++ b/Documentation/process/coding-style.rst
@@ -319,6 +319,26 @@ If you are afraid to mix up your local variable names, you have another
 problem, which is called the function-growth-hormone-imbalance syndrome.
 See chapter 6 (Functions).

+For symbol names and documentation, avoid introducing new usage of
+'master / slave' (or 'slave' independent of 'master') and 'blacklist /
+whitelist'.
+
+Recommended replacements for 'master / slave' are:
+    '{primary,main} / {secondary,replica,subordinate}'
+    '{initiator,requester} / {target,responder}'
+    '{controller,host} / {device,worker,proxy}'
+    'leader / follower'
+    'director / performer'
+
+Recommended replacements for 'blacklist/whitelist' are:
+    'denylist / allowlist'
+    'blocklist / passlist'
+
+Exceptions for introducing new usage is to maintain a userspace ABI/API,
+or when updating code for an existing (as of 2020) hardware or protocol
+specification that mandates those terms. For new specifications
+translate specification usage of the terminology to the kernel coding
+standard where possible.
SørenR.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-07-21 10:50

i havent really paid attention ... im still trying to find my way through gender neutrality wave so i dont step on other peoples feet all the time bying saying his or hers ....

so.. NO one should be able to benefit on another "race" or on a minoritys group behalf ..
so apache have to go.. like .. jeep cherokee

but is it then possible to own stocks in a company providing goods sold with "minority rights" name if you are in a faulty race ?
Is a faulty race allowed to work and get paid from a company providing goods branded out of "minority"? (how pure breed do you have to be to get to work an earn money in such a way?)

im not saying it is bad, im just intrigued by the possible slippery slope
lets cheat darwin out of his legacy, find a cure for cancer...

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-07-21 15:04

How does lack of police impartiality to black people lead to cant have a software organisation called apache?!

And don't get me stated on this ridiculous notion of gender neutrality.

This isn't a slippery slope... we are already in freefall.

What next? The technology industry changes it's terms of various motors? We remove the words from the dictionary completely?

As for changing blacklist to blocklist (which I understand): i bet the grey people of the world are feeling discriminated against now. :mrgreen:

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-07-21 23:51

Really immune to any complaints about the overall changes though. They are coming and complaining about it is a waste of your time.

--Kevin McGrail
Screenshot_20200721-174710_Brave.jpg
So much for consensus driven. Oh, and by the way, shut the F up about your lack of consensus driven input.

How special.

"The Apache Way" is kind of funny, though. The real Apache way was more or less the same as the Attila the Hun way or the Gengis Khan way. So in a very minor way, "The Apache Way" is pretty accurate.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-07-23 06:53

You may remember some years ago an attempt was made to rewrite Mark Twain's (Samuel Clemens), I believe it was, Huckleberry Finn to remove all the sensitive derogatory words for Black People. I will not use the single letter designation of that word because I find it offensive that only the Black people get to use that word even when we are only referring to that word in a discussion and not trying to use it derogatorily to someone who is Black. I say by reprinting Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn the reprinted work is no longer Huckleberry Finn. And it is an attempt to apply censorship and history which is against our concept of what a Free society should do. Mark Twain's use of that word in his literature is a product of that time period and to change that product then is something similar to trying to erase history whether that history is good or bad.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-07-23 06:55

Here is supposedly why The Apache Software Foundation chose their name:

The foundation states that the name 'Apache' was chosen "from respect for the Native American Apache Nation, well known for their superior skills in warfare strategy and their inexhaustible endurance".
Developer: Apache Software Foundation
License: Apache License

The Apache Software Foundation - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › The_Apache_Software_Foun...
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-07-23 09:14

IDeals what they say I think such an explanation îs a second thought applied retrospectively. I think the actual truth sat the beginning is less profound

https://www.apache.org/foundation/faq.html#name
The name 'Apache' was chosen from respect for the various Native American nations collectively referred to as Apache, well-known for their superior skills in warfare strategy and their inexhaustible endurance. It also makes a cute pun on "a patchy web server" -- a server made from a series of patches -- but this was not its origin. The group of developers who released this new software soon started to call themselves the "Apache Group".
5.7 on test.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-23 12:48

Well...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger_(dog)

Headstone was changed July 16. 2020 by RAF.
dog-gravestone.jpg
109798691_10160006571424992_7675879168790528370_n.jpg
Trivia:
The Operations Room for the mission was at 5 Group Headquarters in St Vincents Hall, Grantham, Lincolnshire. The mission codes (transmitted in morse) were: Goner, meaning "bomb dropped"; Nigger, meaning that the Möhne was breached; and Dinghy, meaning that the Eder was breached. Nigger was the name of Gibson's dog, a black labrador retriever that had been run over and killed on the morning of the attack.[7] Dinghy was Young's nickname, a reference to the fact that he had twice survived crash landings at sea where he and his crew were rescued from the aircraft's inflatable rubber dinghy.
The Dambusters: A Dog Called Nigger ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgePEO7GUtE
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-07-23 13:23

Apache didn't own slaves, so maybe the Apache foundation gets to keep its name for now. Until the even more woke start to complain.

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-07-26 20:44

well the exact reason they have choosen the name ( Apache - well known for their superior skills in warfare strategy and their inexhaustible endurance ) is the reason why they cant keep it...
does not matter if it is a tribute to the apache .. the very reason is .. they are using the name apache on behalf of someone elses heritage whithout being.. apache ..

perhaps if they start donating money to apache community it could slide ...

on a silly note https://activemq.apache.org/masterslave.html
master/slave and its apache driven ( logo in right corner ) ..
lets cheat darwin out of his legacy, find a cure for cancer...

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-07-26 21:50

Hmm... Fake, real or opportunistic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRV-34rdQBk
SørenR.

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2020-10-21 12:49

I came across a thing called 'USER_IN_WELCOMELIST', previously know as 'USER_IN_WHITELIST' in spamassassin....we are kind of going crazy with blm, aren't we?

Allthough, blacklist_from seems unchanged (yet)
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/cidrtoregex
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/dnstools
DKIM Generator: d-fault.nl/dkimgenerator
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/dnsbllookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/geoiplookup

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-10-21 14:01

RvdH wrote:
2020-10-21 12:49
I came across a thing called 'USER_IN_WELCOMELIST', previously know as 'USER_IN_WHITELIST' in spamassassin....we are kind of going crazy with blm, aren't we?

The thoughts of a former "Black Panther Party for Self Defense" member :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ay9rI5LN5o

In comparison BLM's are toddlers compared to the Black Panters.

I believe that in the future there will be far less women having a job (#MeToo et al.) and less coloured people in important business positions (BLM et al.). Why? Well, they had one chance and they fucked it all up. Feminist movements shot down! Equal opportunity shot down! Racism shot down!

I read a story in the newspaper today where someone suggests Islam as the solution to #MeToo and sexism ... They are not wrong if it were not for Sharia and the fact that Islam is not a religion but an ideology (there is no god to worship) and the sacred writings are 112% open to personal interpretation. Like my late father always said; "It's like the Devil reading the Bible".

Yes, I was born a christian as all Danes are (Evangelical Lutheran Church of Denmark). Now I am more like "the loyal opposition" ;-)
Last edited by SorenR on 2020-10-21 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-10-21 14:19

RvdH wrote:
2020-10-21 12:49

From recent back and forth in the SA user list, there is only one set of rules for all versions, including unfinished, unreleased versions. So the BLM changes only work in version 4, but they reside in the current ruleset, which doesn't work with version 3.

Besides the change itself being just plain dumb, the implementation of it is equally as dumb.

Fortunately i don't rely on SA blacklist/whitelist.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-11-03 10:38

Hmm...

Fecking with SpamAssassin and...

whitelist -> welcomelist
blacklist -> blocklist
master -> parent
slave -> child

Christ!

Then someone wrote...
However, the standard terminology of the Unix/Linux/POSIX process
model makes it unwieldy to avoid references to killing children.
SørenR.