Where to place created MX record in hMail

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
jens99
New user
New user

Where to place created MX record in hMail

Post by jens99 » 2020-10-18 15:26

Dear all,

I have installed hmail on my private home server (Windows). The intention is to use hmail only for internal mails. No connection to the Internet.
As hmail required a MX record, I created one. My question now is: where do I need to store that? On my router? Which is a Fritz.box. My server is a Windows PC where hmails runs on.
Not being an expert on this matter, I am struggling here. Appreciate your coop. Is there any information you might need in addition?
Thanks so much

Cheers Jens

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Re: Where to place created MX record in hMail

Post by palinka » 2020-10-18 16:53

No MX required if you're NEVER going to attempt to contact outside servers, or have mail delivered from the internet. All you need is a local domain: mydomain.local

Of course, you're limited to sending messages to your local domain only, but that appears to be your intent.

Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of a not-internet-connected mail server?

jens99
New user
New user

Post by jens99 » 2020-10-18 17:03

@Palinka
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
Well, main reason is data protection. We are a little team. Usually, we all work with the same applications, so that sending files is not really necessary, but communication might be. I was also thinking of hosting a chat program instead. But I decided for a little email server.

But another question from my side: when I run the diagnostics program of hMail, then I get error messages that MX records cannot be resolved. That brought me to my question. Any idea how to solve that?
Thanks so much for your help

Best Jens

johang
Senior user
Senior user

Post by johang » 2020-10-18 17:50

jens99 wrote:
2020-10-18 17:03
But another question from my side: when I run the diagnostics program of hMail, then I get error messages that MX records cannot be resolved. That brought me to my question. Any idea how to solve that?
an MX record is needed to be able to recieve email on the internet ( well its easier for people to remember names then ip numbers so people might remember jensdomain.dk rather then xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx )

an mx record is created in a DNS ( preferably on internet but couid as well be a private DNS )

if you dont want the error .. you provide an mx-record for the test script to use
it can be in a host file
it can be in a private DNS
it can be in a public DNS

since you are stating you dont want your hmailserver to be internet connected, there is no need to worry for the diagnostics program reporting that the mx record cant be resolved
lets cheat darwin out of his legacy, find a cure for cancer...

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-10-18 18:30

Technically I believe you would still be able to send email out to the Internet but you wouldn't be able to Receive Email.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-10-18 18:39

johang wrote:
2020-10-18 17:50
since you are stating you dont want your hmailserver to be internet connected, there is no need to worry for the diagnostics program reporting that the mx record cant be resolved
I agree. Just ignore it.

jens99
New user
New user

Post by jens99 » 2020-10-18 21:31

Thanks everybody for your help!

Cheers Jens

RvdH
Senior user
Senior user

Post by RvdH » 2020-10-18 22:11

jim.bus wrote:
2020-10-18 18:30
Technically I believe you would still be able to send email out to the Internet but you wouldn't be able to Receive Email.
Off topic, fyi:
If no MX exists the fallback is A-record, so in theory you can still receive mail from the internet without MX.
Although using MX is the standard globally, some servers even do not support the fallback mechanism so it isn't something you can rely on
CIDR to RegEx: d-fault.nl/cidrtoregex
DNS Lookup: d-fault.nl/dnstools
DKIM Generator: d-fault.nl/dkimgenerator
DNSBL Lookup: d-fault.nl/dnsbllookup
GEOIP Lookup: d-fault.nl/geoiplookup

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-10-19 00:20

RvdH wrote:
2020-10-18 22:11
jim.bus wrote:
Off topic, fyi:
If no MX exists the fallback is A-record, so in theory you can still receive mail from the internet without MX.
Although using MX is the standard globally, some servers even do not support the fallback mechanism so it isn't something you can rely on
Not a theory... Sending to an A-record is included in the RFC and it works, at least if sending from GMail. 8) Sending to jack.the.ripper@[123.123.123.123] should also work according to RFC - and surprise ... TaDaaa ... I tested it from GMail and it works :mrgreen:
SørenR.

Woke is Marxism advancing through Maoist cultural revolution.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-10-19 01:10

SorenR wrote:
2020-10-19 00:20
RvdH wrote:
jim.bus wrote:
Off topic, fyi:
Not a theory... Sending to an A-record is included in the RFC and it works, at least if sending from GMail. 8) Sending to jack.the.ripper@[123.123.123.123] should also work according to RFC - and surprise ... TaDaaa ... I tested it from GMail and it works :mrgreen:
Good to know that.

I didn't realize about sending to an A-Record but it makes sense when I have seen Return Email Addresses which are really subdomains (a.b.Com for instance). I should have realized this as I use hMailServer's MX Query utility to verify an Email Server hostname all the time and that is all the Sending Email Server needs to do which is to do the MX Query it does for the MX Record but just for the A-Record. I did know about sending to a Hard Coded IP Address as I've sent to those myself. But I would guess a drawback to sending to an A-Record or Hard Coded IP Address, though, would be that you wouldn't be able to send to alternate MX Records based on Preference Numbers such as needing to send to an MX Email Backup Server when the Primary Email Server was unavailable.
If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-10-19 15:19

jim.bus wrote:
2020-10-19 01:10
SorenR wrote:
2020-10-19 00:20
RvdH wrote:

Off topic, fyi:
Good to know that.

I didn't realize about sending to an A-Record but it makes sense when I have seen Return Email Addresses which are really subdomains (a.b.Com for instance). I should have realized this as I use hMailServer's MX Query utility to verify an Email Server hostname all the time and that is all the Sending Email Server needs to do which is to do the MX Query it does for the MX Record but just for the A-Record. I did know about sending to a Hard Coded IP Address as I've sent to those myself. But I would guess a drawback to sending to an A-Record or Hard Coded IP Address, though, would be that you wouldn't be able to send to alternate MX Records based on Preference Numbers such as needing to send to an MX Email Backup Server when the Primary Email Server was unavailable.
My domain definitions in hMailServer have additional "names" - it is the tab called "names" under your domain and is in fact domain aliases.

So my domain (well not really but...)

Domain: acme.inc
"name": mx.acme.inc = DNS A-record. NB! Only ONE (1) domain can have this address!
"name": [10.0.0.1] = Domain literal of my IP address. (MUST be in square brackets!) NB! Only ONE (1) domain can have this IP address!

https://www.iana.org/assignments/addres ... tags.xhtml

On a single domain server using the A-record and Domain literal is not a problem. On a multiple domain server you may want to consider creating a domain named with the A-record and a "name" with the Domain literal - holding only a catch-all account.

Adressing the A-record or the Domain literal is usually regarded "last resort" in contacting the domain responsible person. It can also come in handy if the global DNS network is damaged.
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-10-19 15:50

SorenR wrote:
2020-10-19 15:19
It can also come in handy if the global DNS network is damaged.
Is that something you're expecting? :D

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-10-19 15:56

palinka wrote:
2020-10-19 15:50
SorenR wrote:
2020-10-19 15:19
It can also come in handy if the global DNS network is damaged.
Is that something you're expecting? :D
If Trump refuses to accept he lost and starts WW3 ... Yes!

My DNS hosting is in USA with ChangeIP...
SørenR.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-10-19 18:46

SorenR wrote:
2020-10-19 15:56
If Trump refuses to accept he lost and starts WW3 ... Yes!
I wouldn't worry about that. Trump is the peace president, disengaging from eternal war. Plus, he has the election in the bag. A landslide cometh. I predict much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

mattg

Post by mattg » 2020-10-19 23:39

I thought that the war had already began...
Just 'cause I link to a page and say little else doesn't mean I am not being nice.
https://www.hmailserver.com/documentation

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-10-20 03:06

mattg wrote:
2020-10-19 23:39
I thought that the war had already began...
That's just the pretend one. Fills the TV screens but doesn't amount to much. Its more or less reality TV.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-10-20 22:03

palinka wrote:
2020-10-19 18:46
I wouldn't worry about that. Trump is the peace president, disengaging from eternal war. Plus, he has the election in the bag. A landslide cometh.
This is brave. Can you imagine the "told you so" and opportunity for ridicule this is opening up.

I presume the "eternal war" should have been "external war": this would be true as he spends more time creating wars internally. The U.S.A certainly not advertising itself as a peaceful place to live this last year.

[Entered by mobile. Excuse my spelling.]
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-10-21 00:38

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-10-20 22:03
palinka wrote:
I wouldn't worry about that. Trump is the peace president, disengaging from eternal war. Plus, he has the election in the bag. A landslide cometh.
This is brave. Can you imagine the "told you so" and opportunity for ridicule this is opening up.

I presume the "eternal war" should have been "external war": this would be true as he spends more time creating wars internally. The U.S.A certainly not advertising itself as a peaceful place to live this last year.

Meh... All signs point to landslide victory. Yard signs, merchandise, donations, every conceivable metric. Except fake news polls. They're the only holdout and just as fake as they were in 2016. There is simply zero enthusiasm for the corrupt, senile kiddie diddler candidate that hides in his basement sadly wearing his two masks in fear of covid. Trump, on the other hand, vanquished the chinese dragon virus in a couple of days and is energetic as a teenager, holding multiple campaign events daily. Even my wife is now glued to Fox (right leaning) news. If you knew her, you'd know she was never a Trump supporter. Until she was recently. I take that as a sign the suburban woman voter will be the group that puts Trump from "win" to "landslide". Trump even has the support of blacks in America - probably not a majority, but orders of magnitude greater than any previous Republican. Like 25%-30% versus 5%-10% before. That's literally unheard of. Creepy Joe doesn't stand a chance.

Trump didn't create any wars internally or externally. He's the peace president who negotiated historic peace deals in the middle east. He's the peace president withdrawing from eternal war in the middle east. And everyone knows from simple observation that the only "wars" going on here are rioting commies in commie run cities with assistance of commie mayors and commie district attorneys. Otherwise, its been peaceful everywhere else. Every attempted "riot" in every city not controlled by commies was shut down instantaneously. The rioters can't do anything without the assistance of the local gubbemint running interference for them. Nobody cares about the riots anymore. I'm sure the news you watch gave you those details. :lol: The riots are literally staged for your TV viewing pleasure. I'm guessing there's a wee itsy bitsy variance between what you've been told and reality on the ground.

Don't be shocked when Trump wins again. I'm sure it will be spun in the foreign news as a coup or some other nonsense. I'm predicting a lot of fun watching the fake news cry on TV, even though its a repeat episode. I'm going to turn that into a drinking game.

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-10-21 02:33

palinka wrote:
2020-10-21 00:38
Meh... All signs point to landslide victory. Yard signs, merchandise, donations, every conceivable metric. Except fake news polls. They're the only holdout and just as fake as they were in 2016. There is simply zero enthusiasm for the corrupt, senile kiddie diddler candidate that hides in his basement sadly wearing his two masks in fear of covid. Trump, on the other hand, vanquished the chinese dragon virus in a couple of days and is energetic as a teenager, holding multiple campaign events daily. Even my wife is now glued to Fox (right leaning) news. If you knew her, you'd know she was never a Trump supporter. Until she was recently. I take that as a sign the suburban woman voter will be the group that puts Trump from "win" to "landslide". Trump even has the support of blacks in America - probably not a majority, but orders of magnitude greater than any previous Republican. Like 25%-30% versus 5%-10% before. That's literally unheard of. Creepy Joe doesn't stand a chance.

Trump didn't create any wars internally or externally. He's the peace president who negotiated historic peace deals in the middle east. He's the peace president withdrawing from eternal war in the middle east. And everyone knows from simple observation that the only "wars" going on here are rioting commies in commie run cities with assistance of commie mayors and commie district attorneys. Otherwise, its been peaceful everywhere else. Every attempted "riot" in every city not controlled by commies was shut down instantaneously. The rioters can't do anything without the assistance of the local gubbemint running interference for them. Nobody cares about the riots anymore. I'm sure the news you watch gave you those details. :lol: The riots are literally staged for your TV viewing pleasure. I'm guessing there's a wee itsy bitsy variance between what you've been told and reality on the ground.

Don't be shocked when Trump wins again. I'm sure it will be spun in the foreign news as a coup or some other nonsense. I'm predicting a lot of fun watching the fake news cry on TV, even though its a repeat episode. I'm going to turn that into a drinking game.
It's not Trump that scares me - it's all the sheep that wote for him.
SørenR.

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-10-21 07:08

SorenR wrote:
2020-10-21 02:33
palinka wrote:

'Chump' states COVID doesn't exist or COVID going away. 'Chump' contracts COVID and gasping for breath. 'Chump' exposes Secret Service Agents for a Campaign Joy ride in the Black SUV. My girlfriend's Brother In Law supports 'Chump' and his wife is brainwash by her husband. Wife starts watching FAKE Fox News and believes everything FAKE Fox News says is happening. Fake Fox News finally can't even tolerate everything 'Chump' does and starts to turn on 'Chump'. 'Chump' Supporters still have faith in 'Chump' and believe everything 'Chump' says. Everyone but 'Chump' Supporters realizes how to tell when 'Chum' lies. His lips move. The order of magnitude of the Black' Supporters is orders of magnitude greater than any previous 'REPUBLICAN'. 'Chump' sends in the 'Secret Police' to violate US Citizen Rights in Portland and other Cities. The Local Police should have been arresting the 'Secret Police' for Assault And Battery of its Residents and violation of Constitutional Rights. 'Chump' and the Republicans try to suppress voting because they know they do not have the majority but do not want to give up their Rule by their Minority instead of by the Majority of the People. The Republican only can seize rule by an archaic Electoral College which needs to be abolished. My brother votes for 'Chump' only so he can have his GUN. 'Chump' is the one who believes their are good people in the Neo Nazis. 'Chump' strives to separate children from their parents. 'Chump' fights to wind a second term because he knows if he loses, he will soon be going to prison perhaps at 12:00 Noon on 1-20-21. In the meantime 'Chump' he will do everything in his power to kill another 200,000 US Citizens with COVID. Which includes taking away US Citizens Healthcare. 'Chump' also plans to eliminate Social Security and Medicare. Because 'Chump' knows he will go to prison otherwise he will do his best to become an Autocrat and try to hang onto power even after the legal amount of time he can hold office.

All this is why the sheep need to be overwhelmed with the vote of those who are not sheep! Otherwise the sheep will win even though the sheep are in the minority.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2020-10-21 10:25

SorenR wrote:
they call it democracy :roll:
and they also call "sheep" who vote for Erdogan (to whom Trump probably is the lesser evil) here.
question is who do the others think they are. democrat shepards :lol: ?
Katip
--
HMS 5.7, MariaDB 10.4.10, SA 4.0.0, ClamAV 0.103.8

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-10-21 10:37

palinka wrote:
The riots are literally staged for your TV viewing pleasure.
:lol:

Yeah, of course.

Trump doing his thing for entertainment business during these tough times. What a visionary and caring considerate man he is.

Trump the saviour!

5.7 on test.
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-10-21 11:45

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-10-21 10:37
palinka wrote:
The riots are literally staged for your TV viewing pleasure.
:lol:

Yeah, of course.

Trump doing his thing for entertainment business during these tough times. What a visionary and caring considerate man he is.

Trump the saviour!

That's why his name is actually 'Chump' with Pseudonyms of 'Patsy', 'Stooge', A**H**E, Megolamaniac, etc. You've heard Mary Trump's opinion of him?

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-10-21 12:43

katip wrote:
2020-10-21 10:25
SorenR wrote:
they call it democracy :roll:
and they also call "sheep" who vote for Erdogan (to whom Trump probably is the lesser evil) here.
question is who do the others think they are. democrat shepards :lol: ?
You cannot compare the two, Erdogan control the masses by force/fear and Trump feeds the stupid sheep what they think they want to hear.

We have a turkish community in Denmark who are afraid of speaking bad of Erdogan in fear of repraisals to their distant family in Turkey.
SørenR.

katip
Senior user
Senior user

Post by katip » 2020-10-21 13:56

SorenR wrote:
2020-10-21 12:43
You cannot compare the two, Erdogan control the masses by force/fear and Trump feeds the stupid sheep what they think they want to hear.

We have a turkish community in Denmark who are afraid of speaking bad of Erdogan in fear of repraisals to their distant family in Turkey.
strange.
they should come to here and speak safely like any other civil citizen instead of being agitated by social/massmedia trolls.
many columnists write every day recklessly against his politics. sarcastic, ironic, serious, any kind..
OTOH, opposing and betraying are 2 very different things - particularly in our geography. you appreciate i think.
i'm not his voter BTW.
Katip
--
HMS 5.7, MariaDB 10.4.10, SA 4.0.0, ClamAV 0.103.8

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-10-21 14:06

jim.bus wrote:
2020-10-21 07:08
SorenR wrote:
palinka wrote:

'Chump' states COVID doesn't exist or COVID going away. 'Chump' contracts COVID and gasping for breath. 'Chump' exposes Secret Service Agents for a Campaign Joy ride in the Black SUV. My girlfriend's Brother In Law supports 'Chump' and his wife is brainwash by her husband. Wife starts watching FAKE Fox News and believes everything FAKE Fox News says is happening. Fake Fox News finally can't even tolerate everything 'Chump' does and starts to turn on 'Chump'. 'Chump' Supporters still have faith in 'Chump' and believe everything 'Chump' says. Everyone but 'Chump' Supporters realizes how to tell when 'Chum' lies. His lips move. The order of magnitude of the Black' Supporters is orders of magnitude greater than any previous 'REPUBLICAN'. 'Chump' sends in the 'Secret Police' to violate US Citizen Rights in Portland and other Cities. The Local Police should have been arresting the 'Secret Police' for Assault And Battery of its Residents and violation of Constitutional Rights. 'Chump' and the Republicans try to suppress voting because they know they do not have the majority but do not want to give up their Rule by their Minority instead of by the Majority of the People. The Republican only can seize rule by an archaic Electoral College which needs to be abolished. My brother votes for 'Chump' only so he can have his GUN. 'Chump' is the one who believes their are good people in the Neo Nazis. 'Chump' strives to separate children from their parents. 'Chump' fights to wind a second term because he knows if he loses, he will soon be going to prison perhaps at 12:00 Noon on 1-20-21. In the meantime 'Chump' he will do everything in his power to kill another 200,000 US Citizens with COVID. Which includes taking away US Citizens Healthcare. 'Chump' also plans to eliminate Social Security and Medicare. Because 'Chump' knows he will go to prison otherwise he will do his best to become an Autocrat and try to hang onto power even after the legal amount of time he can hold office.

All this is why the sheep need to be overwhelmed with the vote of those who are not sheep! Otherwise the sheep will win even though the sheep are in the minority.
Dude, have a Valium...

SorenR
Senior user
Senior user

Post by SorenR » 2020-10-21 15:29

katip wrote:
2020-10-21 13:56
SorenR wrote:
2020-10-21 12:43

strange.
they should come to here and speak safely like any other civil citizen instead of being agitated by social/massmedia trolls.
many columnists write every day recklessly against his politics. sarcastic, ironic, serious, any kind..
OTOH, opposing and betraying are 2 very different things - particularly in our geography. you appreciate i think.
i'm not his voter BTW.
Wifey's brothers ex-wife is Turkish from Istanbul. She now reside in UK but runs a dog rescue center in Izmir.
SørenR.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-10-21 21:35

SorenR wrote:
2020-10-21 15:29
Wifey's brothers ex-wife is Turkish from Istanbul. She now reside in UK but runs a dog rescue center in Izmir.
Wow. I bet she is tired at the end of her daily commute home every day. :mrgreen:

5.7 on test.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2021-02-12 23:16

palinka wrote:
I wouldn't worry about that. Trump is the peace president, disengaging from eternal war. Plus, he has the election in the bag. A landslide cometh. I predict much wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Yep. There was a landslide. And there was a battle. And there was gnashing and wailing.

But the war was 'internal' at Capitol Hill. The landslide was Biden's. The election was 'in the bag' as suggested but not for Trump and he actually ENgaged (not disengaged) in the war.

So all was as predicted but in a parallel universe.

Still, no 'i told you so' and all's well that ends well.... 😁
5.7 on test.

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2021-02-13 01:19

jimimaseye wrote:
2021-02-12 23:16
palinka wrote:
Yep. There was a landslide. And there was a battle. And there was gnashing and wailing.

But the war was 'internal' at Capitol Hill. The landslide was Biden's. The election was 'in the bag' as suggested but not for Trump and he actually ENgaged (not disengaged) in the war.

So all was as predicted but in a parallel universe.

Still, no 'i told you so' and all's well that ends well.... 😁
Dominion.

That is all.

Read about Dominion in the Philippines and look what's happening in Myanmar. Among others. Just look. Its really low hanging fruit.