Looking for a new Email client.

Use this forum if you have installed hMailServer and want to ask a question related to a production release of hMailServer. Before posting, please read the troubleshooting guide. A large part of all reported issues are already described in detail here.
RoisinR
New user
New user

Looking for a new Email client.

Post by RoisinR » 2020-12-25 11:42

Hi there, we are currently using Thunderbird to manage emails connected to our [removed] domain. Lately we have been having some issues as it has been crashing causing us to retype emails, doesn’t send or forward message and sometimes doesn’t even sign in. Due to this issues we are thinking about switching to another emailing application. We are looking for something which is secure, easy to use and can email to all the different email services at the same time. So my question is does hmail server provide all these? Also is it free of cost and easy to install? Thanks

gotspatel
Normal user
Normal user

Re: Looking for a new Email client.

Post by gotspatel » 2020-12-25 12:19

Hi,

Welcome and Merry Christmas.

Hmail is an Email Server (Eg: Microsoft Exchange, PostMaster) and NOT an Email Client. (Eg: thunderbird, Outlook, bat, mailbird, Mail etc.)

And surely it is Free and Lovely with very nice people to support you to install and configure it.

HTH

jim.bus
Senior user
Senior user

Post by jim.bus » 2020-12-25 13:45

Yes hMailServer is an Email Server and not a Client and pretty much probably most email Clients are able to connect to it.

I've been using hMailServer for years for my personal use and it is one of my most reliable applications. However, as said, this is not an Email Client. You don't compose emails with it. That you do with Email Clients such as Outlook and Thunderbird.

While I don't have experience with Thunderbird it is developed by Mozilla which is not a shabby developer. I would ask how old your Thunderbird application is and if not current have you tried to update to the current version. I have heard that some versions may not work well with newer versions of email servers. And I heard of one instance where an older version of Thunderbird worked better with one particular Email Server or older feature of the Server.

I will warn you hMailServer does not have much in the way of maintenance being applied to it by the Developer as he seems to have other priorities now. Most work done on hMailServer is from enthusiasts who are trying to modify hMailServer to improve it and there are multiple versions being worked on.

jimimaseye

Post by jimimaseye » 2020-12-25 13:46

Don't worry chaps, it was another spam post advertising his website (removed).
5.7 on test.
SpamassassinForWindows 3.4.0 spamd service
AV: Clamwin + Clamd service + sanesecurity defs : https://www.hmailserver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26829

palinka
Senior user
Senior user

Post by palinka » 2020-12-25 14:18

jimimaseye wrote:
2020-12-25 13:46
Don't worry chaps, it was another spam post advertising his website (removed).
¯\_ (ツ)_/¯ They never take a break. Not even on Christmas!

Merry Christmas!